Lake Marion Catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Captain Cat, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I will be coming down to fish lake Marion in April. It is my first time, I am going with a friend that has fished there before and knows the water a little. I am trying to plan for the trip. Here where I fish we get blues and channel cats from small to about 20-25 lbs being the biggest. What can I expect there? What size hooks are best? What Lb. Test line? Mono or spiderwire, what is best for the conditions. Any help would be great. We are staying at Billups Landing. thanks For any help. Great site by the way.

2. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey, man...good to have you onboard. i can't remember where billups is but i think it is in the upper upper lake marion. you should do okay if you get into the stumphole area...verry shallow!!! if you don't have a depthfinder, do not go in there!!!!!!!! i wouldn't even go with a semi v hull boat. if you don't mind me giving you a recommendation, the old santee river out of arrowhead landing is excellent this time of year as well as the rediversion canal (also out of arrowhead). you need pretty heavy lines for marion or the river cause it is messy underwater (thousands of stumps, etc) i like mono because of the stretch but braided line is good if you want to go for a big cat. carolina rig is my fav presentation. good luck!

3. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I always had much better luck with big blues fishing Moultrie instead of Marion. But both are excellent lakes. I've not made the trip in April , so I cannot give any accurate info about the blues there , but I was at Billups last March and that is a very good place for flatheads that time of year. There is an old dam right there at Billups that has a small concrete spillway. If you travel the length of the old earthen dam , there is an opening where you can get a boat into the back section of the inlet.... Very nice area for early flatheads...... THE CATKING !!!

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Flathead are usually starting to bite very good in April and the blues bite good also. The former state record flattie came in April in the canal.

5. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Thanks for the info. What works for bait. We have best luck with suckers up here. How many poles can I Bring to use here we are allowed 2.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Most people use white perch because the lakes are slam full of them and they're easy to catch. Its about the only bait I use at Santee.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    You can use as many poles as you think you can handle.Make sure you have them in holders because there are many on the bottom of the lake yanked there by big catfish.White perch,shad,mullet and of course herring are all popular baits.You can catch white perch just about anywhere on pieces of nite crawler abd a numer six hook.There are guides that work out of Billups so just ask them for the latest info.Most will give you straight scoop.If you can afford it a guide is a good investment and you will learn more in a day than you will going it alone the first time.BE VERY CAREFUL if you are fishing from a boat.Marion has a million stumps and the weather changes frequently in the spring.The lakes are very shallow and any wind above 10mph gets things rolling in a hurry.Head for shore at the first sign of a serious storm.Most people use heavy lines 30lb and up and braid is very popular,I use 80lb braid.You have to get control of the bigger fish in a hurry in the stumpy water.Go to the SC section and you will find many useful posts about fishing Santee.Ask any questions that come to you and we will try and answer them for you.Good luck again be careful.

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Dean, I think April would be a good time, and the area around Billups seems to pick up action a little earlier than the lower areas. April and May are both good months to fish, lots of activity picking up during that time.
    Jim's advice is right on, too. Just use caution while boating, and enjoy your trip down.