Lake Marion catfishing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by big corey, Nov 25, 2007.

1. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    my name is corey im new to this site and i would like to know how
    to locate the catfish in lake marion in the winter please reply

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Corey. I don't get to fish Santee as much as I would like but, I think most of what I read and hear is to just follow the bait fish. The blues will be close.

3. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks droptine prociete the tip

4. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    corey...you will learn a lot on this board...no question...i would suggest looking back through the archives and reading the threads on the santee area...piles and piles of good info...by the way welcome to the family!!

5. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey any tips please reply im 15 only get to go fishing when my dad wants to
    go we go to the congaree river since its only 30 minutes away from our house my opinion he stays in one spot to long he stays in a spot 2 hours
    before moving i have been told that if you fish a spot more than 30 minutes
    and dont get abite its time to move am i rite

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....he stays in a spot 2 hours before moving i have been told that if you fish a spot more than 30 minutes and dont get abite its time to move am i rite..."

Well, everyones opinions vary, but if I anchor in a spot I am commited to it for at least 90 minutes., especially in a lake where there is little or no current. I believe it allows more time for scent to spread. If you are anchored in a good place it is worth spending some extra time.

I have not always fished this way, and was like you in that I wanted to move around every half hour if there was not a bite. One fateful night cured me of that though, and since then I have found it much more productive for big fish to commit more time to each location. Many big fish have come 60-90 minutes into fishing a spot.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Corey here is a mathmatical formula you can use when calculating the time you should fish a spot.If you are 18 and under,then 10 minutes is the max you should fish in one spot if you are anchored.Yank the anchor up and find another spot.It really isnt much trouble to reel in the lines pull up the anchor(s) and move.If you are over 40, then 90 minutes might not be enough recovery time,I mean fishing time, to adequately explore all the nuances of the new spot.At that age every one of the things you have to do takes exactly 9 times longer that it did when you were 15.Even the anchors weigh 9 times more.Over 60 multiply by 9 again.You shouldnt be to hasty.I would be in the catfish record books many times if I hadnt reeled in my lines at exactly the moment a world record fish had chosen to eat my bait.Cant tell you how many times I have done that.Of course it saved all the wear and tear on myself and my gear by not having to fight all those angry 140lb Blues and Flatheads.:big_smile::smile2:

8. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey this is corey thanks for the info

9. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Jim you have things just right. :smile2:

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    desided to fish marion today fished river channel on lower end not much wind to start with but with trolling motor help done alright fished three hrs cought 7 blues from 3 to 18lb using froze shad had to leve early to come home. till the next time ron howard

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Roundhill. I have a buddy that has been fishing up that way to and has been doing really good with the fish. Did they not have any bait at Neds?

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    james neds has bate i froze the shad i had the last time out i wanted to see what it whould do and i did not have long to fish but to my surprise they worked good they wer still about half frozen i think when they thawd compleat they wer to soft im going to vacuum some skipjack to see how they work on santee will give report on that in feb see you soon.ron