Lake Marion Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Feb 20, 2009.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anybody have any updates on Lake Marion? We're fishing out of Lakeside Marina tomorrow and Sunday was wondering if the cats were staging in the channel or moving in shallow any?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    It's been so windy this week, I haven't spoken with anyone who's fished up there, but they should be starting to move into the shallows some, mostly staging along the channel edges or holding below schools of shad. Main thing is just to get a line in the water. :smile2:

3. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Tommy,

We went today for a little while, fished just like you said along the channel edge. In the few hours we were there Judy managed to boat a 23lber and I boated a 5lber. Both caught in 10 to 15ft of water right off the channel edge on cut perch. We are going back tomorrow and hoping the wind prediction is wrong, or at least we can find some apots out of some of the wind.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just be careful of the wind on the open water. The main channels will be pretty rough, I suspect, but the deep channel running into Rock's Pond, east of Sixteen, or something similar, might let you get out of the worst of it and still be able to fish similar conditions.
    Sometimes a heavy west or northwest wind will push through from the west side of the island and the fish will be in the muddy water downwind, near the channel.

5. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks Tommy,

Hadn't thought of the channel around 16 Island, we are going to play it by ear once we get there. Judy has to work tonight so we are leaving as soon as she gets here, means we will get to the lake around 10:00am which is when the wind is going to pick up. I think they are showing a 21mph wind around 1:00pm or so. We have caught a few right at the mouth of the cove heading into lakeside marina so we may end up there if it gets to bad, still some pretty good depth and it's on the east side of that Island. I will post report tomorrow night good or bad.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Robbie, where do you normally launch from, and what kind of boat are you fishing from? My memory has failed me this morning...again. :embarassed:
    Lakeside is right on the deep channel; it may work for you. Give us a report. :smile2:

7. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sorry Tommy, just saw your reply. We joined the boat club at Lakeside, couldn't afford a boat this year, now we have unlimited use of 14....lol. anywhere from 24ft to 28ft so we will be fishing out of lakeside all year.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Cool; I've heard of those boat clubs, but never had any direct dealings with them. Good luck with the fishing.

9. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Are the fish doing anything in the canal?

10. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    we didn't catch anything this week in the rediversion except for a small channel, of course we only fished a couple of hours. we caught a couple 2 weeks ago, I think with this warming weather coming and the presence of the shad in the rediversion it should turn on anytime.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The American shad numbers are slowly increasing in the canal below the St. Stephen dam, and will continue to do so, but the fish lift has been out of operation, which prevents them from entering the lake, therefore the catfish and stripers aren't there in any numbers, either.
    Downstream of the dam, the herring are just beginning to show up, but the numbers are low right now. Hopefully when the fish lift starts operating again this week, that will improve due to the attraction flows from the lift.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
  13. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Does that water go into Lake Moultrie or does it come out of lake into river. Not sure how all this works.
    Thanks

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    John, it comes from Lake Marion, through the diversion canal and Lake Marion, passes through the rediversion canal & discharges through the dam at St. Stephen into the rediversion canal and enters the Santee River about 4miles downstream. :smile2:

15. Thanks good report.u fishing MARCH 14TH?

16. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    If you asking me if I am fishing Mar 14 not I have to be at wedding in VA that weekend.
    Have good day.

17. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's some great info Tommy. Thanks again. Great job as usual with sharing that knowledge of yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!