Lake Marion Catfish - Any Activity?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by 4JS, Dec 13, 2006.

1. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anything biting out in front of Randloph's now?
    Will be fishing during the holidays and would appreciate any tips.
    Thanks

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you are fishing during the holidays I would go all the way to the dam until you are right out in front of it..The river channel is right there and makes a huge horse shoe bend before going out the last lock on the left on the dam as you face it.There is a huge flat that goes from the river channel up to about 12-13 ft right there.Fish on the edge of the channel so you can put some lines deep and some shallow.The bait fish will be concentrating in front of the dam and the perdators will follow including the stripers.Good luck.:smile2:

3. 4JS

4JS Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks, will give that try.
    Will you be in the area during the holidays?
    If so, maybe we can meet up somewhere.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I finally made it back to the lake and had a pretty good day. The fog on monday morning was so thick that it was 12:30 before the fog finally broke and I could find where I wanted to be. I had three different people at the boat landing that morning tell me that they where catching fish right out in front of randolphs so we concentrated our efforts there until the fog broke. They all told me there were no fish biting in little river but when the fog broke everyone was in little river. I got out and marked some fish in one of my favorite hole and put 3 20+lb blues in the boat in one hour and lost two good fish. Moved to another hole and caught another 20lb blue and a 16# flathead. The guides that had made it out there early that morning really loaded up though. My 9 year old nephew had a ball. I hope to get back first of the year when the water temp drops a few more degrees.

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    We fish 90% the lower lake & only Rimini in the upper-I keep hearing "Little River" i know its off the Santee River,but does it run through the upper lake?

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jimmy, it's shown on some charts of lake marion, meanders throught the standing timber south of Randolph's and north of the old santee river channel, ends at the dam, though, although before the dam was built it continued on through the swamp and connected with the santee river several miles downstream. If you look on a contour chart, you will see the depth changes, near the dike, about 2-1/4 miles or so from the original river channel at the dam. Hope this helps ya.

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I hope to be at randolphs on thursday morning at daylight if anyone will be around.

8. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    I use to fish the littlt river a lot and have caught some nice cats in the river channel, picked up lots of big flatheads in that river channel. i always hit the channel at what is called the brick yard area, most locals can tell you where that is and its on most maps, little river is only about 100 0r so yards out from the brick yard and easy to pick up on your depth finder, the river bead is not that wide and has many curves and bends, but thats a great place to fish if the weather in good. many trees and stumps in that area. when i reach the brick yard area, i use my trolling motor to get me into river area, then up or down . if bad weather comes your not far to a safe area behind the island at the brick yard. Their is also a large pasture of about 4 ac in that area that holds some big blues. you can fishe the little river from the old brick yard to the dam, maybe 3-4 miles

Good luck

9. Stripe Um

Stripe Um New Member

State:
    sc
    Anyone been on the lake the past couple days? Would like to know water temp. and also wondering if there is any bait balling up yet.

10. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Monday the water temp was 54 and there was no bait on top anywhere to be found. I marked alot of baitfish in the deep water in front of the dam just above the therocline so they were holding in about 25ft of water. I hope to be back thursday morning though.

11. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Went to marion yesterday and fished hard for most of the day and did NOTHING. I ended up with $32.00 worth of bait and 2 blues 4# and 8#. I think there was tooo much new fresh water. I heard they where doing good on the lower lake. I talked to several gudies who had been out to and the most one of them had was 7 two were aroud 30# each and the rest were like my two dinks. They said the fish slowed down hard on monday and have not picked back up yet. I did get to try my new depth finder and gps so I was happy heck it sure beat working.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, James. It makes my strike-out up there yesterday a little easier to take. LOL
    I spoke with one guide and they only had 7-8 mostly small fish, and they had just come up from the lower lake. He said the same thing about the bite dropping off. The water was pretty muddy up there.
    How did you fish? We tried drifting and anchoring, near and in deep water, on the flats, in timber, you name it; no luck. Most of the fish we marked were on the edges of drop-offs, but they didn't seem to be biting, at least not for us. Bait was kinda scattered, too. I fished on 45' deep hole on a 30' flat that usually produces, but even there they wouldn't bite. :confused2:
    Don't feel too bad about the money, though. I spent about $90 at L'ilN8's and didn't put a fish in the boat. Glad you got to check out the new sonar, too.

13. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I anchored on the drops in little river were I marked fish and in some of my regular spots but I never found too many concentrated balls of bait fish. The water temp was 53 when we got there and it was almost 59 when we left. The only fish we caught were on a flat about 50 yards from the drop between two good sonar retuns. We sat there for thirty minutes with no bites and we were watching those goony birds moving closer and diving and coming up with bait fish and when they got about fifty wards from us to poles went down at on time ( I was thinking uh oh we just caught two of those biirds) but we caught those two blues and then a few minutes later we had three more good bites and that was it.

14. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Fished this past Thursday and caught 4. Did not catch the first one until 11:30. Fished in front of the Brick Yard where the channel comes into the left of the island. They were holding on the down and up slope of the channel. Big one was 18 lbs.

15. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the good info please keep it coming I hope to have a report from the upper part of the lake tommorow.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I found fish in that area, same type structure, on Friday, too, but I just couldn't seem to buy a bite from them. Thanks for the report. :smile2:

17. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I had plenty of good returns on the sonar and marked good fish but they just didnt want anything we had.