Lake Marion, cast net, Bait fish???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by red1691, Jul 27, 2009.

1. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    When I go to Lake Marion, there is a light on the dock. I use a cast net to try to catch some bait fish, What am I alowed to keep? I know no Sunfish, no Largemouth Bass, any other no no's? Is there a better way to catch good bait fish? Thanks:embarassed:

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    You can keep anything but gamefish. Depending on how much bait you need, you'll be able to tear the perch up starting about 30-45 minutes before dark. 6-10 foot deep water should do the trick. Use a very small hook and put a piece of worm on it about 1/4 inch long and drop it to the bottom and reel up a couple of turns. I can usually catch 30-40 perch in a hour or so doing that.

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Agree with ed completely, all the white perch you want usually that last our before sunset. Just like he said, but i usually get em off the bottom. As far as your net. You can keep shad, herring,mullet, and carp. Any other non game fish but usually you will get only the first three I mentioned and a lot of perch and sunfish which you can't keep, legally. Herring and Shad don't seem to get around the lights til a couple hours after dark though.

4. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    White Perch are no longer game fish. Wouldn't that mean you can keep them if caught in a cast net? That's my argument anyway.

5. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I like that argument....sounds good to me....:tounge_out::crazy::wink:

6. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    Well Tom,
    Thanks for getting me back into the regs. Most definitely white perch are not mentioned as game fish, so throw away. Also, I guess now that blues are gamefish they can't be caught on a trotline or bush hook. I noticed the requirements for lines and hooks have relaxed including using live bait. So who is ready to go run some bush hooks on the Edisto?

7. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    Thanks For the info. Just trying to do it right! and hope to gatch more Fish