Lake Marion camping trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by rivercatsc, Jul 29, 2007.

1. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    took a group of guys from church to camp and fish from green island. Ended up catching 18 fish in all with the biggest fish was a 30lb blue. Caught most everything on threadfin shad in around 10-15ft of water in transition areas between deep and shallow waters. Got caught in the worst storm I have ever been in with lots of lighting and 40-50mhr winds. Had 2 boats got totally swamped taking around 4 hours to get dryed out and back in the water. Luckily no one was hurt and the boats ended up being okay. Got to actually witness catfish feeding up and around the grass looked just like redfish tails and dorsel fins sticking out everywhere. It was an awsome sight and got to really watch them and learn a lot from just watching them feed. The water is about 3ft below normal and there are lots of NEW stumps sticking out. Bait seemed pretty hard to come by but did get in a bed of huge shellcrackers fishing for perch. Fish seemed to be feeding heavier in the first light than at night. Going back to the lake Wed night but this time with a guide for HUGE flatheads out in the stumps. I cant wait for someone else to do all the work and I can just sit back and ask questions and learn. I hope to have a good report.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hate to be the one to break this to you Jim Boy but those aint "new stumps" sticking up they have been there all along.Like Tommy said in a previous post it is enlightening to see what we have been casually running over.:crazy::big_smile:Who are you fishing with Wed night?I love guide trips because you can sit back and do nothing but reel them in although I usually "volunteer" to help pull drift socks or anchors,etc etc.I also always invite the guide to fish with me.They dont get much chance to just fish and usually appreciate it.:big_smile:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Tell Carroll 'hello' from me, James, and I hope you get into them real good.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Jim I am going with Carroll Tanner and Tommy I will tell him you said Hello.

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    james there was a good flathead fisherman in the tournament saturday night but he hadnt spent much time on santee. he weighed in two flatheads but he said he had one to hit the rod so hard his glow stick went flying through the air...lol. said he had some good ones on that just pulled off at the boat. good luck to ya.