Lake Marion Borrow Pit

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Riverfish3r, Mar 7, 2007.

1. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Me and a buddy are heading fown from Raleigh next weekend to fish the Borrow pit behind the dam on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. We will probably be camping on the bank and CPRing most of the fish. I have only fished the Bar pit in May, and typically we catch a few catfish, but many gar and bowfin, with the occasional gator sighting. Any idea what types of bait we should go with or ideal locations, we typically fish near the stand of trees about 1/3rd of the way down the dam? This will be my buddies first time catfishing, and I would like to give him a good shot of catching a large fish. We will be fishing day and night also.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Why dont you go out on the dam and fish the lake itself.Many large fish caught off the dam particularly when the gar are spawning on the rocks.The cats get in there and eat the eggs.Just a thought.:smile2:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I was just wondering about your occasional gator sighting. Please dont shine a Qbeam in there after dark it will make you think twice about sleeping on the bank.LOL I with Jim I would fish off the dam or off the end of randolphs pier both would be a much better catfishing experience. Good luck with those gators.LOL

4. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks guys. Me and my buddy, before we knew there were gators around, fished right by the bank for seveal hours just laying on the bank. It is a wonder something didn't get us then. I love the area, and thanks for your advise Jim, I booked a trip in May. When the gar spawn, do they do it on top of the water in the shallows or deeper in the water? Thanks guys.

5. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    The santee river below lake marion dam at wilsons landing is a great place to bank fish. We have caught many blues and flatheads over 30 lbs and missed bigger cats, seen a 65lb blue caught just above me one night. If you want more info on where to fish and what bait, pm me.

6. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The Santee river at Wilsons Landing is one of my favorite spots .I have caught 40 pounders of the bank and lost bigger ones. There is a deep rock hole down river that holds nice cats also. Night fishing at the cable can also produce some nice cats. Just keep in mind if fishing near the cable.It is against the law to cast or fish up past the cable.I have seen the Game warden walk up the bank at all times of the day and night.GOOD LUCK

7. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    Glad to here you do good there, Wife and i have fished it for many years and have caught many cats in the 30-40 lb range. I seen a 60 lb plus caught one night and have lost big cats that i couldn,t turn myself. When the lakes are rough we head to the river, this is one of my backup spots to fish.

8. meanmalibu

meanmalibu New Member

State:
    ga
    was wondering how deep is river around there?Can you put a 20 ft bass boat in at wilsons or is it to shallow?thanks bobby

9. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    I've put in my 18' v-hull before but was only able to run up river to cable about 150 yrds, lots of rocks below landing. water was 3-5 ft level last time i put in there. i see a lot of flat bottom boats but none i have seen has gone very far down below the landing. in the summer months the bow fishermen cruse the far side of river in f-bottom boats hunting catfish.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, that water is really shallow with rock shoals for the first mile or so, at least. On normal (read low) water levels, a flat bottom is the best option. I wouldn't put a bass boat in there at all unless the water is up a little. The people who know the area use mostly flat bottom and stay planed off in the shallow areas. To idle through, you must trim the motor up. The whole stretch of river for about 40 miles is treacherous, with shallow limestone shoals and sandbars, if you don't know where to run. Years ago I could run wide open from Wilson's all the way to the ocean if I wanted to, but I've forgotten a lot of the areas way upriver.

11. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for all of the help guys...especially you Bob. Both the weather was terrible highs never left the 40s with 20+ winds almost all of the trip. We had a 2 hour bite window

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      20.1 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      20.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Bobwheelr

Bobwheelr New Member

State:
    NC
    glad you guys got some nice fish, was the water still up on the santee river.

13. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey Bob, they were pulling some water through, but not much. It was up maybe 1-2' at the most. Down river it was much higher. Let me know if you have any other questions. Also, there was a 2 lb striper in the mouth of the 42# cat

14. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    were you in the burrow pit or the lake.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thats a nice flathead Brian, did he fight good?

16. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Well, I didn't catch the fish I was holding, I am the bigger of the two. There were some super great guys for TN there and they caught theirs just minutes befores ours, and my pictures was posing with their fish(Bragging rights). My friend caught the flathead with 12lb line. My goal for the weekend was to have hm catch his first catfish, and his first catfish was a SC citation. I saw the rod go down, and I picked it up and handed it to him to set the hook, and coached him through it. It was just as exciting for me to see him catch it than if I would have caught it. I caught a 4-5 lb blue and channel right before he caught his, I would have let him bring them in, but he was messing with the fire.

17. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Brian, Regardless who caught them, Those are nice fish, I didn't know the pit had Cats that large in there.

18. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Where did you fish ? Those are some nice fish.