Lake Marion Bait? Rig? Presentation?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mudcat_xpress, Feb 25, 2006.

1. mudcat_xpress

mudcat_xpress New Member

State:
    Beckley, WV
    I am going to Lake Marion in April. Could anyone inform me on the bait, rig, and presentation I should use? I also have heard alot of people talk about a diversion canal that was by Billups Landing where I willl be staying is this a good place to fish at this timne?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mudcat, during april, almost any live or fresh cut bait will work. I would prefer white perch or herring. The channels can even be caught pretty good on nightcrawlers in the shallows. A carolina rig, or 3 way drift rig will work. You can drift in the shallow waters, or anchor and cast all around. If the fish aren't shallow (they should be, though), then drift the flats near deeper water during the day and fish the shallows late or at night.
    The diversion canal connects lakes marion and moultrie. It isn't near Billups, but is within easy driving distance, taking SC6 east from Santee; just look at a map of the lakes. There are a couple of landings there (Canal Lakes resort, and Hill's Landing) if you want to trailer down there. It's a pretty long boat ride, depending on what you've got. Again, drifting in the canal, or anchoring along the bank will work. Most folks drift.

3. Riverdog

Riverdog New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mr. Hughes, how is the fishing around the 95 bridge during late April. I have always seen boats when crossing this bridge, thanks.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Riverdog, I really don't fish that area much at all...too many joyriders at times. I see people fishing there, as you mentioned, and it looks to me like they are mostly fishing the flats near channels. The river channel makes a lot of bends up there, and those bends must hold a lot of fish.

5. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Tommy do you know the results of the tournament at th state park.

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Haven't heard a thing yet, Beaufort. I'm hoping chrisblue or roundhill will post something.