Lake Marion 9-7

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Wind around 10...2-3ft. waves...partner breaks key off key in ignition...boat gets stuck on clay bank trying to start motor...boat starts to fill up with water because of waves coming in the back of the boat...partner gets motor started with pull rope...had to abandon boat and let the bilge pumps get water out...for 30 minutes...got back in boat and made it back to the landing. This is kinda like eternity you better be prepared! Never thought a dollar piece of rope would save me and my boat.

Ended up catching 9 with the big one at 37. Drifted threadfin. Water temp 79.

2. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    I seen a guy sink a boat putting in at Randolphs once. Wind was comming into the landing along with huge swells. After watching this i just trailored to the canal and put in:big_smile: Look like you had a good trip other than that.

After that i ended up putting a larger pump on my boat. I had to even change the hose size and drill out the outlet hole for the larger hose. I figured i needed something that would pump the water faster than it was comming in. It worked

3. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I will be down there starting Wednesday. I just hope I can FIND my keys!!:cool2:
    THANKS For the report!!!!

4. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Sounds like a good catch to me. Nice job.:cool2:

5. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Thats funny right , at least it is if you been in that situation B4. We fished Hills tournament a few years ago. We were on the lower end of the lower lake and around midnight a storm came in so we headed to Lyons beach. Pulled the boat up on the bank and got in a pontoon w/ someone else that had beached their boat in the tournament for the night. Next morning had to get boat bailed out with 3' waves coming over the back of the boat. We got the boat turned into the wind nose first and tied off at 3 points. My buddies were beached up over at Boneau where my truck was and they had Pete Hilliard to bring them their truck and trailor then came by and picked me up to go get mine. I am half way back and my partner calls me in hysteria that "There was nothing I could do" I get back and the ropes had broke, boat was sideways. They say a picture is worth 100 words. Those 3' waves turned into 6' waves

Attached Files:

• fow.jpg
      fow.jpg
      File size:
      17 KB
      Views:
    • up.jpg
      up.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
  6. crappie capt.

crappie capt. New Member

State:
    Rock hill s.c.
    yeap,sounds like a santee day.:crazy:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Man, that's some scary stuff! That place has always intimidated me. It's really the safest on a pontoon. Gotta stay on your toes in the boat, and be prepared for anything.

Bill in SC

8. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Whats bad when I pulled up with the trailar and seen it I got out and bout died laughing. If you could of heard his voice when he called me. He looked at me as if I was crazy and I told him, hey no one was hurt, wasn't anything he could of done and no need of getting upset cause it wouldn't help a thing so laugh about it and at least now we won't have no problem draining it cause all 3 plugs are now out of the water

9. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Joe i just wonder how many boats that place has claimed? It got mine but like you said a boat can be replaced, a life can't. I was down there when these 2 young guys boat got swamped right outside the lower end of the canal (somewhere around the rock markers) One of the young guys held on a chanel marker till help arived. His friend didn't make it. It was so sad, we were comming in and the family of the young man were sitting around waiting on word. The water down there gets ruff, you better have the boat for it or wait till it calms. Love the pic's