Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things might be taking a good turn. Caught 10 fish today - 7 catfish and 3 stripers. Drifted threadfin shad in 18-25' of water. Started early in the trees but no takers so moved out a little and started to catch some. Wind started out NE and changed to NW after 1:00. The ones we caught sure hit funny, almost like a gar. They would shake the bait before taking it. Big fish went about 15 with the rest around 8-10. The stripers were all small. All fish were released.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you like cool stories here is one for ya. Back in February my fishing partner in Texas passed away with cancer. He was only 63 and loved to fish more than any person I know. He retired from work about 3 years ago to fish and spend time with friends and family, but got sick soon after retiring. We had fished a bass tournament in Arkansas and won. He had just bought a new rod and reel for this tournament, Falcon rod with a Shimano Calucuta reel. It was one of his favorite setups.

When I was talking with his wife about all the great times we all had together, I could not stop thinking about that rod and reel. I told her the story about it and that I knew the time he bought it and how special it was to him. We then went into the room where he hept all of his fishing stuff and she told me, she wanted me to have that rod. Words cannot explain the feeling I had, just to put my hand on that rod and reel that my friend and fishing partner had put his hand. Apart from my dad, he was the one who taught me how to fish.

I was not for sure what to do with the rod. Whether to use it or not? I got to thinking that he would want the rod and reel to be used and not to set in a rod holder in my fishing room. So I decided to use the rod yesterday. On my very first cast, I caught a striper. I had no clue there were fish in the area I was in. I should have known that was going to happen. It was almost like he was in the boat with me, smiling and laughing from heaven. I will never forget the first cast and that 4lb striper.

· Registered
2,395 Posts
Great story Kelly and congrats on the better catch. You are a lot like me in the bait dept. I use my favorite bait till the fish decide they want it.Fish or no fish i like being on the water.
I would love to take a big sortment of bait every time i go but must get what is easy and cheaper to come by. I just don't have the energy to go after shad, bream. perch, bass, crawfish, shad guts(big shad) like i use to. Now i just use worms, catch what i can and just use it.
Sorry to hear about your friend, i know the feeling. The pic i posted with all them fish at Black's Camp. Well the big guy with the white cap went on to be with the lord several yrs ago. I sure miss fishn with him.
Again great to see things are pickin up.

Oh yea, I'll be going back for surgery next friday. Be sure to have your church to keep me in prayer. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.