Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much to report with me. Caught 2 with threadfin shad. Did see some stripers schooling this morning. Fished from Eautaw Creek basically to the Dam, shallow to deep, anchored to drifting. I have no clue!!!

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Kelly, are you marking any fish on your fish finder. You got me wondering now.

If you are anywhere close to canal lakes resort, stop by Neds Bait and get some gizzard shad. Also try some perch. Back when i fished Santee, if the fish was there and wouldn't hit one bait i would just change baits. I was a die hard perch man. I once made 2 trips and not a bite, decided to change to shad and filled the cooler. Worth a try. Hope things pick up

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks for the report. I hope that we're heading back sometime this week. Looks kinda like Tuesday to Thursday. If it's anything like our past several trips I don't have a clue either. I'll post how we done when we get back. Sooner or later if we keep going our luck is bound to change, ain't it?:doh:

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was marking bait and fish all day which made it even worse. Almost like they were laughing at me. I am going to try again this Thursday if everything works out. I have so many thoughts running in my head, it's driving me crazy. Do I need to change rod holder angles...try new bait...change back to Cajun line...buy my old leaking 17' boat back...stop fishing and take up pottery making.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Kelley, If you found the fish in the deeper water, they might be staging there to move into another area. Try fishing the areas (ledges, flats, humps, guts, etc.) near the fish that you found. Right now they should be finishing up the spawn or even moving into a post spawn pattern. Most of the fish I catch this time of year I never even mark on the sonar. I just fish the areas I know they should be in. If you know of some good mussel beds 10-20' now is the time to fish them. Took my sister for the 1st time to the lower lake Friday and did fairly good in these type of ares. 15 Blues for 210#. She caught a PB 27# Blue. Dean is right about the gizzard shad. GREAT BAIT. Canal Lakes still has some. PM me anytime if you want some more specifics.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Kelly, are you marking any fish on your fish finder. You got me wondering now.

If you are anywhere close to canal lakes resort, stop by Neds Bait and get some gizzard shad. Also try some perch. Back when i fished Santee, if the fish was there and wouldn't hit one bait i would just change baits. I was a die hard perch man. I once made 2 trips and not a bite, decided to change to shad and filled the cooler. Worth a try. Hope things pick up
I stopped by Neds Friday afternoon.They have no gizzards & said he probably won't for rest of the summer.Blacks still has the big Heron for $18 dzn.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I stopped by Neds Friday afternoon.They have no gizzards & said he probably won't for rest of the summer.Blacks still has the big Heron for $18 dzn.
He must be having trouble keeping them alive or trouble catching them. Probably be hard finding them if Hill's and Blacks Camp don't have them. Little Ned usually takes them shad. You can't get in touch with either on the phone anymore.
What is Ned selling?? Hearing??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.