Lake Marion 4-10-09 - Blue Catfish Fishing Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SanteeCatHead, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SanteeCatHead

SanteeCatHead New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

Made it out on the pond today for the first time this year in search of Mr. Whiskers. Took my 11 year old daughter with me. She loves to fish with her Dad. The windy conditions and the impending weather forcast made me decide to stay close to the landing, and fish the Wyboo / Potato Creek area. Didn't get to the lake until 11:00am. Tried to get out to the big water with no success. Fished shallow for almost 4.5 hours with not even a pull down.

Found some deeper water in Wyboo that was somewhat sheltered and gave it a try. My daughter caught (5) fish in a little over 2 hours. 28lb, 25lb, 16lb, 14lb, and 8lb. Cut herring seemed to be the trick. All were blues. She had a blast. :smile2:

I was really surprised that we could not catch any fish shallow. In years past, we have always been able to put plenty of fish in the boat from shallow water in the Wyboo area. My how things change.

Can't wait to get back out there next weekend and give it another try.

Great site guys; I check it daily.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Mike, welcome to the BOC. That was a good day of fishing. I know your daughter must be still smiling and talking about those fish. Good report; thanks.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Mike welcome to the BOC and thanks for the report. Dont give up on the shallow bite this cold front had the fish pushed back out some they have been shallow but I found my fish on Moultrie the other day in deeper water.

5. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Mike welcome to the boc and thanks for the report!

6. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Good report. Welcome to the BOC.

7. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    Welcome to the site! Your story sounds almost identical to my trip last week with my daughter. I was able to put her on 6 fish with 5 of them coming in 6' of water or less. We had a blast. Thanks for the report.

8. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I also fished Friday. One of the worse days I have had in three years. I caught 2 and only had one other bite. I started drifting shallow and went deep. A very strange day on the water with the wind from almost calm to fury in a matter of 5 minutes. Glad to hear some fish were caught.

9. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    welcome to BOC Mike. Sounds like you'll had a great time.

10. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    welcome to the BOC sounds like successful trip but more important you were spending quality time with your daughter an u both had a good time ,u were probably happier that she caught the fish than if u had, it,s fun to watch your kid s out fish you

11. SanteeCatHead

SanteeCatHead New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks everyone. By the time we got to the lake, the wind was howling from the southwest. When we left, it was howling out of the southeast.

The fish she caught were in 14-18 feet of water. The really slammed the rod, so there was no mistaking the bite. Love those circle hooks!!!!!

I have bass fished for years, but over the last 5-6 years, I have really found my true love in these kitty cats. My daughter is hooked for sure. Her personal best is a 51.5 lb flathead she caught 2 years ago fishing in the trees in front of Black Bottom. I would rather see her catch the fish than me.