Lake Marion 3-14-09

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by scwolf, Mar 15, 2009.

1. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Judy and I got out on the lake today despite the cold rainy forcast. Glad we did, weather turned out to be a little cool but wind was not bad at all and NO RAIN! We fished around the brickyard and decided to see if the fish were in the shallows. We managed 4 fish bumping around the trees, you had to move to find them but they are there, just scattered. Big fish was a 22lb Flattie, 18lb, 15lb, and a 10lb Blue closed the day.

Now for the one that got away story! Had a rod take a nose dive, and when I tightened down on him I saw a huge swirl in the 4ft of water out from the boat. I knew I had a big fish just wasn't sure how big. After a few minutes of playing the big blue, I got to see her roll. I knew it was every bit of 40lbs, but a few minutes later when I THOUGHT I had her tired out I lifted the head out of the water and I am confident now saying she was at least 50. She took a dive once she saw the boat and I continued to play her, then in a rush of excitement I tried to lift her and guide her into the net when POP, she snapped off and I saw her slowly sink as if to say THANKS FOR THE FIGHT BUT I WIN!! I did have a milisecond thought or reaction thought of diving over the side after her...LOL

2. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Last weekend on marion I had a hog wrap me up behind a cypress stump and she was a monster to, but she broke off. She kept braking the surface and we decided to reel the lines in and go get her but as we were doing so another rod doubled over with a 28 onit and we never got to the hung up fish before the line broke.

3. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    That's the kind of stuff that keeps us comin' back for more!!! Great stuff right there guys. Thanks for getting me all rowled up!

4. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yea it definately got me fired up and was actually excited instead of mad. Don't get me wrong was heartborken for sure that I didn't land it and hold it, but it was a great fight anyway and with the other 4 we have fresh meat in the freezer. Now due to the problems that happened afterwards(see local south carolina post) I'm not sure if we will get back to that same area to fish. We may be bank fishing again soon...lol...but it's all good.

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Thats what dreams are made of.
    PEEDEE CAT

6. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thanks for the report Robbie. What is your go to bait in shallow water?

7. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All our fish yesterday came off of cut river herring, we couldn't find any perch in the shallow water and I only caught 2 small shad in the cast net. The shad were small so I cut my herring in smaller pieces. Even the large one I lost bit the smaller bait.

8. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    All our fish yesterday came off of cut river herring, we couldn't find any perch in the shallow water and I only caught 2 small shad in the cast net. The shad were small so I cut my herring in smaller pieces. Even the large one I lost bit the smaller bait.

9. sound like a good trip Robbie. Did you catch those at night?

10. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    No Mark, we caught them during daylight, The big one hit around 6:30 or so during the evening hours. Started fishing around 12:30 or so