Lake Marion 11-19

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Nov 20, 2009.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Almost same report as last week. Caught 10 missed 2 others. Had fog until 10:30 with little wind. First fish came in 5' of water and then moved to drift deeper water. I finally found the fish around 11:30 on a different part of the river channel that I have never fished. Drifted threadfin, white perch, and gizzard shad. All but one came off of the threadfin and the other on perch. Water temp 61-62 clear. I thought it might be murky with all the rain we have had to come into the lake. It's the highest I have ever seen it. Big fish was 25 and is still swimming.

On another point. I have never seen more trot-lines on the lake. They were all over the place. Watched three people bring in a barrel of fish to be cleaned. I usually see them every Thursday cleaning a huge amount of fish. Will we see the day when we say "I remember the days when I could catch 15 fish a day and now I can only catch 3." With all of the trot-lines, people, and guides fishing, how long do we have before things get bad? Or should we be worried about the catfish. I don't have a problem with people keeping fish, I kept three Thursday. Why would you want 100 pounds of filets in the freezer? I know there are different views about this subject, just wanted to throw mine out. With one of the greatest lakes in the country, I hope we can keep it that way.

Attached Files:

2. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wait till you get one tangled up around the prop at night. They should be outlawed.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Nice pic there Kelley.

4. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You think those guys may be selling the meat?

5. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm not for sure what they are doing with the fish.

6. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Congrats on the fine catch Kelley, 10 cats and a 25lber is a successful trip.:wink: Thanks for the report.

7. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Right now with this economy there are alot more individual's fishing than guides. Why is it that just because you are a guide you are hurting the population? If the word"guide" catches fish then I need to paint it on the bottom of my boat.

8. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    Maybe I should have said, "with more people fishing" instead of listing certain ones.

9. santeefishhunter

santeefishhunter New Member

State:
    north caro
    Thank you! I'm not fond of the trot lines myself !

10. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the report

11. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    It's hard not to fall into the trap of saying, "Well, if I don't keep this 36lber someone else will." Or, if the fish is caught near a marked trot-line, or one of the very many not marked, it's really hard to throw one back. I'm sure it would scare me to know how many are not marked. But I guess, if that fish is returned it still has chance to grow and fight another day.

12. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    we need more trotlines we need more little fish out of the lakes 10 to 20yrs ago we hade a lot of comersial trot liners we dont have but a few now we have to many little fish an baseicly thats what trotlines catch just ask any biologist that question turn the 20lb an over lose keep the rest al santee is a catfish factory please understand an help i do yum yum:tounge_out::wink:

13. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    If everyone played by the law with the trotlines with the small hooks maybe. But I have personally seen some people use illegal trotlines with bigger hooks. I saw this one fella on the upper lake above rocks Pond once pull in what had to be at least 10-12 30+ # fish on 1 trotline. Thats over 300+ #'s of fish. And then he headed for another. Made me sick.

14. outoftheboat

State:
    South Carolina
    I have also watched the same thing in the same area.

15. bulldog1

bulldog1 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I"m with you on keeping fish, I just keep enough to eat. Sounds like you had a good day. Great caugth. We caught 15 cats on murray yesterday keep 5 of the smallest ones. Put all the big boy"s back. have a great day. thanks for the report. butch

16. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    Great report Kelly, sounds like you had a good day. I heard of the day when Santee was a great striper fishery. I seen pic's of stringers of 30-50lb fish hung on nails, now you do good to catch a 26inch fish (about 12lbs if he's fat) Let'm keep doing it, the catfish guides will be bream fishn. I know how to fish on Santee and i'm here to tell you the numbers of big fish caught are down from what they were 10 yrs ago. Yes you can go out and catch big fish even today but 5-6 30lb fish on a fishn trip are not happen as often and it will get a little harder to do as the yrs pass:big_smile:

Also writting guide on the side of your boat don't work, you don't catch no more fish you just have more folks follow you:smile2:

17. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i wonder if that fish in your avitar your holding by the gills swam away maybe we should all just quit fishing then it whould not make a dam or each one should do what they fell is right an be brothers not brother keepers amen the roundhill runs a guid service an asks his customers to let the big ones go this wk three fish over 50lbs still swim but some wer not they got eat im sorry but the fish belong to the customers but i was invited to the fish fry i use to run trotlines and 98% of our fish weighed 1lb to 15lb every now an then you whould catch a big fish same way with jugs the reson the big fish arnt as prevalant as they use to be you have a lot more catmen an boats looking for them so they can show them off an pay ponds buying them make it illegal to take out of state that whould help but we can help as catmen by takeing out all the 10lb an smaller cats that we catch so the big ones got more to eat an they tast good just ask me.this is the longest post i have tried to screw up thank you. the roundhill

18. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    Last week 50 boats caught and released over 6,000 lbs of fish (check Hills website). sounds like fish factory is doing OK but the blues will take lake and not weigh over 2 to 3 lbs if you let them. I was raised with the blues (in Arkansas) and they only been here about 40 years. How many people can remember when there were no blues in the Santee lakes. When we used to catch a lot??????? Better listen to the DNR biologists.

19. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Roundhill is right. Brothers not brother keepers. Sometimes we get caught up in the sport that we all love.

20. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    The night i caught the fish in my avatar i had released 9 fish in the 20-30lb range. I didn't even have a cooler on my boat. After i caught that 68lb fish i put him on a stringer to keep him alive to weigh in the next day because of a bet i had with Craig and Richard at Canal Lakes Resort. Craig had caught a 68lb Blue and as i was leaving the landing i told him i was going to match his fish:smile2: I had no clue that i was. I released 4 more fish in the 30-35lb range after i caught that one. Seemed like the big fish were biting that night. The big blue didn't make it, he died by morning so i weighed him, cleaned him and he was eaten. Nothing wrong with keeping fish and i'm glad that you promote catch and release. I use to keep every single fish i caught, i had just started the release thing at the time of that avatar. I would keep more fish now but i guess i have eat so many fish that i just don't care to eat them as often, if i did, i would keep all i can eat. It didn't matter to me how big he was or how small if he bit my hook he was mine. Some folks might say we are crazy, we spend $80- $100 to go fishn and throw them back in:tounge_out:. There are guides out there that try to promote release and the clients look at the guide like he's crazy. Yea right, if i catch i will eat, or even ride him in the back of the truck all day if i want. We all are different, if you feel to keep the fish, keep it.
    In-Fishermen, Catfish insider once had a write up about the Santee Lakes. They reminded the people of Santee, the resorts , guides, stores, etc.. of what they now have and what they once had with stripers. Santee was once known for there stripers (that was overfished and now gone) Now folks come from all over the U.S. to fish with guides for Giant Cats. Sometimes i would be on the Lake and see 100 or more boats all over the lake fishn for cats. Now this happens a lot on the wk ends and Holidays. What if all these guys were catching Big Cats and none were releasing. I have seen nights in the canal, boats lined up and down both sides to the point you had to look for a place to anchor. As i would look down the canal i would wonder how a blame catfish could even make it to my hook.
    You reach a point that keeping fish for braging rights don't mean so much to you anymore. You fish because you love to fish and release because you have respect for that 40-50 lb fish that was a worthy adversary. That has avoided being caught and eat for over 30 or so yrs.
    You decide:big_smile: