Lake Marion 1-29

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by outoftheboat, Jan 30, 2009.

1. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    This was the first time I was able to fish since the last week of October. Crazy Day! Started throwing the cast net at 5:30a.m - 7:00a.m. ended up with 8 shad. My partner had brought along a bag of frozen fish. We got to the lake and noticed it was Spanish Mackerel. My thought was, well we can just turn around and go back to the house since we only have frozen bait. Headed out to fish with no hope. Set up to drift and within 10 minutes, I had a triple on, and a little while later I had a double on. We ended the day with 11, big one 14lbs. I guess I have changed my mind about frozen bait. Just when you think you know everything it all changes...guess it's kinda like golf when you have a great day and then you go back the next week and you don't even know how to swing a club. There is always room to learn! Water temp stayed at 46 for most of the day. Around 3:00 it was 49. Water color was really stained, almost brown. After the clouds left and sun came out, the fish turned off. Had a great day!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks for the report, Kelly. Some times the frozen bait works pretty good, better than we think, probably, because if I have fresh bait, I almost never use the frozen, so can't compare them equally. :wink:

3. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Kelly,

The fish still holding deep near the damn? I am headed dwon in the morning.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Kelly good to hear from you and I am gld you got to get back out there and get on some nice fish.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < I guess I have changed my mind about frozen bait.>

I use frozen bait more than I want to, simply because fresh is not always readily available to me. We have pretty good results with it, but still prefer fresh when available.

Bill in SC

6. outoftheboat

outoftheboat Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
  7. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Great catch! I've had some awesome days on froozen bait. If Roundhill and I can lay a Smackdown on a bunch of Skipjack in Tenn next week, I'll have a bunch more.:wink:

8. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Glad yall caught em, Kelley:smile2:

9. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Thank's for the report.:wink:

10. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yeah, and you enjoy your time up there in my home state. And while you're up there, pay attention. It might give you some insight as to why I am the way I am. :smile2::smile2::wink: How 'bout them VOLS?!?!?!

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    And all along I thought it was lead poisoning from drinkin that sour mash.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. red1691

red1691 New Member

State:
    Meldrim, Ga.
    Thanks Kelley, Gives new hope for Frozen bait!! The fresh stoff is hard to get some times!!

13. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I use to think that frozen bait wasn't all that great either. But here lately Bill and I have had some good luck with it. I was reading a blue catfish article today and it said that a 1951 Ripley's Belive It or Not told of a man that dropped his false teeth into a lake he wrote them off but ten days later he caught the 20# blue that ate them. That said I guess a blue will eat about anything.:confused2:

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    Never heard that one before ,heard the one about the guys finger, heard the one about a class ring.been eat'n by a fish an somebody catch'n the fish /....:crazy: