Lake management for catfish/bass weed control

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by RSVBill, Aug 10, 2007.

1. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    first yes i know there is a page for " lakes" but more people are over here it seems. :)

So to make a long story as short as possible, about 4 years ago a family member inherited some land when his mother passed. the family divided up the land and left him with a nice amount of land and a lake that everyone thought was not fit do to how old it was. the granfather actually grew up on the farm in the 30's and the lake was there then.

this lake is everybit of 2 acres i have taken a small boat out and dropped lines to get an idea of how deep , on the dam side it have reached just at 19 feet before getting slack and touching mud , on the other end it carries a channel about 10-12 and sharply reaches 3 foot with in the last 20 foot of water. lake is surrounded by trees on 3 sides with the exception of the Dam wall.

My issue is this, looking for knowledge, we have put many catfish in here blues yes blues, flats, channels. I have stocked bass and more catfish since cleaning it up and prepping it for future fun and family.

the moss is under control with blue stone, but i have a freaking weed/ grass very viney growing that is driving me nutts!!! it is growing from the bottom and is surrounding the lake almost , about 6-10 from shore. I have went through the Algea ( no comment on spelling at this time ) stuff in it liquid sold to me by southern states for controling weeds in lakes. and even pulled the weeds out for hours with a long rake and hooks. I purchased 4 grass carp last spring and two this spring, none have been spotted since intruduced to the lake. i am guessing they made a fine meal!.

HOW CAN I reduce the amount of this?

to date the lake has furnished ,

My wifes black cat as many have seen on here.
    1 - 4 1/2 large mouth bass
    1 - 5 lbs large mouth bass ( the wife caught ) she has no clue its bigger than mine still!
    more than one small mouth at 3 lbs
    average small mouth are 16-20 inches ( am curious about this stunting thing I have heard so much about. )

Blue gill not of any real size but so many small one I started fishing the bait there before going to the Ohio.

I have added trees for cover in the water and run a trash pump once a month for airate the lake and keep water moving all around.

well any input to the Weed problem let me know.

yes the bass have all been put back , and only a few cats ( small ones have made it to the grill )

:)

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Try www.dunnsfishfarm.com and look under the main menu for a link titled aquatic plant problems. The info here is plentiful and helpful.:tounge_out:

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    2-4D and paraquot.
    One of the best sources to get information for pond management is the county agriculture extension office.
    I wouldnt have ever put the blues and flats in there but thats just me.

4. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    I also have Blue's and Flatheads in my pond but I make sure they are supplemented with plenty of baitfish for them to feed on.

5. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Flatheads and small ponds.thats not a good combo friends. a 14" grass carp/bass is a snack for a big flathead.

6. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Well thank you for the link , I will be getting a picture and emailing to them to identify what I am dealing with. There are plenty of bait fish in here this i know do to the amount of bluegills.

thanks all for your input.

Bill

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    good info. flatheads are definatley not pond friendly.