Lake Lure catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by DamonG, Jun 23, 2009.

1. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Has anyone ever fished lake lure for catfish. I recently went up there and was talking to locals that say that there was a 98lb blue cat caught out of there and that there is not really a lot of fishing pressure on that lake. It is a small lake but it is deep. I would like to go up there and give it a try one day to see what I could catch.

2. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I live about 30 mins. away from Lake Lure and would love to fish it but can't afford to put my boat in. I have heard there are some nice cats in there. Most of the people that live on the lake would be to proud to be seen fishing for cats.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    As far as I know there isn't any blue cats inn that lake so I would seriously doubt the claims of a 98 lbs cat. My great-grandparents lived on the lake for several years after it was built. From what my family have told me they're channel cats in there and some bullheads. Like most I can't afford to fish it anymore but I did fish it a few time when I was young. I have done some trout fishing above the lake a few times over the years.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i did fish it for steel heads back in the day befor a boat permit whent to $500.00 a year:eek:oooh: channels and bullheads is all i ever got outa there it is a nice lake but not worth the $500.00

5. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina

It's went up to $600 now for a non-resident, this is straight off of the town's website.

*Non-Resident Annual Motorized Boat Permit ....(Limited of 50 permits)
    ................................................................................................................$600.00
    (non-property owners and/or non-residentsof Lake Lure /1 per household or business)

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thoes Rich A holes dont want the average joe on that lake is y its so high

7. 350degree peanut oil

350degree peanut oil New Member

State:
    NC
    I live fairly near Lake Lure, but have never fished it for the reasons mentioned. The boat fees are a direct attempt to keep us riffraff off the lake so that the rich folk can drive around the lake in their cabin cruisers with their sailor hats on without having to look at the common folk. :smile2:
    As far as I know there are no blue cats at all in western NC, at least I've never seen one. Most lakes and rivers here have channels and bullheads, and there are flatheads in some places.

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Well I guess this good ol redneck wouldn't take a leak in that lake:wink:. As far as a 98lb blue that would be a new state record and that aint changed that I know of. And that one came from a good old REDNECK lake ....BADIN.

John

9. DamonG

DamonG Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the replies. If that's what it costs to fish there i won't be going. I didn't know that. I would have to be able to catch 50 to 90 pounders every time I went out before I paid that.

10. rocklover

rocklover New Member

State:
    NC
    I just came from there watched the firework show with my daughter but didnt fish.