Lake Lou Yeager

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Jun 20, 2008.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I've put in 2 all nighters at Lake Lou Yeager in Litchfield, Illinois in the past week. I brought along a pillow and sleeping bag both nights in hopes of catching a couple Z's along with some kitties. No chance on the Z's. Which isn't a bad thing. :smile2: I think both nights I wound up with about 20 minutes of sleep all together. :big_smile:
    I fished all the way at the North side of the lake both nights. The North end of the lake is very shallow. Averaging about 3 feet!
    The first part of the first night, I couldn't catch a thing. I tried shad heads, whole shad, part of a shad, stink bait, bluegill... And nothing. Then I tried just using the guts of the shad. Within 2 minutes of the bait being in the water, it was on. I was fishing right up near the bank in VERY shallow water.
    The first night out there I was by myself and I brought home 14 nice channels. Most were about 1-3 lbs. But a couple were pushing 5 or 6 lbs.
    My second night out, I went with a buddy of mine. We ended up cleaning 22 channels. I bet we wound up with at least 15 lbs of fillets. All our fish were caught on R&R. So if you're looking for some fish in the freezer, and a great time. Give it a shot! We had a blast. I told my Dad about it, and now he's ready to make a night out of it in the near future. :cool2::big_smile:

2. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had actually though about taking a trip there this summer to do a little camping and fishing. It's only about an hour and a half from me. I never knew anything about it until I read about it in Illinois outdoor news. They have a new paper out every 2 weeks and have a different lake on the back page of each one.

3. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea im from litchfield,grew up there,thats where i learned to fish,lake aint bad,thats where all them fish r,there is a creek back there runs under the bridge that we call the 5 mile brigde.anyway its not far from where ur talking about on tha north end.it seems like we always caught our nice ones at night,early morn.ur right that place is shallow but like u said there r fish back there nice sized channel.and the shad by the dam r huge.

4. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    The farthest I've been up North is to the string of bouys that say "SLOW" on them. Right past the bouys is a cove to the left, and then it looks like it keeps going straight a bit. Where's the bridge you speak of? And I guess you're talking about the dam on the south end of the lake?

5. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea its one of the last coves on the left on the north end,and yes the dam is on south end,go below spilway if u can theres nice shad down there and all by the box at the top on main lake plus where the beach is there was a road that is down that use to go across lake there a lot of coves on the north end on the right that r deep
    i will ask my dad what lot number we had and that cove used to have nice channels in it.

6. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    hey when ever u go back there get ahold of me and i will met u there im only 20 min from lake.

7. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Dan, the bridge is up the creek about 2 to 3 miles from the lake.. You won't be able to get to it in your pontoon. We used to use a 12 ft Johnboat and put in at 5 mile bridge and use a trolling motor to get to the lake to fish.. That was many moons ago..

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea if u fish the mouth where the lake meets creek u might do real good,and if u have a pontoon u will have trouble.the creek is only like 10 feet wide,and like harlod said we had a 16 foot bass boat,setting juggs,lol and that waz years ago.i have only rod and reeled right by the bridge,but back then i didnt fish the way i do now,i use big bait,back then it was night crawlers,but there r nice channel in the main lake by the mouth of that creek,just watch out for tha stumps back there u will see them but alot u cant see and they will get u.

9. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    We used to catch 8 to 10 lb channels 30 yrs ago up there so they ought to be alot bigger by now.. Everybody goes to the lake to play nowadays, not that many actually fish it for catfish.. Especially the north end because of it being so shallow in spots..

10. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea thats tha bad part race boats come here,and they always start on the north end,lol.but like i said at night u will get a break from tha boats,ill tell u what there is a groop of lilly pads on the north end on the left, fish around that area,u wont miss tha lilly pads its the only groop of them down there.yea my dad waz telling my stories of big channel back there.lol yall got me wanting to go back there and try it again.if anyone tries it let my know.

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I gotta get me another boat, this is killing me.. I'd love to put in up there and see how much it has changed in 30 years..And go after some kitty's at the same time..

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Im about 20 min from thear whent last week to look it over it was crowded around docks is thear anywhear els to bank fish that lake besides at the docks love to knight fish it

13. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    There are plenty of places to fish from on the dam, if you go on the north end to fish, you have to get permission from a lake lot renter or owner. FRom the beach up everyone has lake lots or homes, but they are real good about letting you fish their property if you ask. But from the beach down to the dam, there are plenty of places to bank fish. Anytime you want to meet, just holler and I will show you the lake.

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks a lot i will give u a shout and take you up on that