Lake Location of Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Feb 17, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    I can't seem to locate any flatheads in lakes, just channel cats. Where are they all hiding?

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    They migrated south for the winter. Hitched a ride with a bunch of geese.... They're in Mexico now. When you see the geese flying overhead, they'll be back....:eek:oooh:

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Get a topo map of the lake. If you cannot do that ask around , somebody can tell you something about the lake.

Look for rocky flats to fish at night 10" or so from where it drops back into deeper water, 4-6" Bluegills and bigger ( Live Bait ) pinned with enough weight to keep him pinned to the spot on a 18" to24" Mono leader. Heck I even fish them during the day but just out close to the edge or just over it by 6-10'.

Look for stump feilds where logging has taken place that has timber piles laying around.

Old deep creek beds during the day with a 1lb fresh water lobster double hooked just through the plates on the tail with #7 Octopus Gamakatsu's :eek:oooh:would get mister big to move if his around..or a big Gill or sucker, carp of about the same 1lb size.

Old buildings that have been flooded and or fallen apart is a good home.

Outside bends of feeder creeks during the day about 10'-20' out close to bottom or on it.

Mounds that extend at lenght that are rocky that has flat spots on them.

Some body else will be adding to this list soon..So dont worry, you will be catching a flat soon..IMHO..:cool2:

4. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    The lake that holds Pa state record is close to me I never threw a sunny or gill there I got my PB channel there at 15# I'd like to try a gill there now that I have the right rods and reels for it:wink:

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    It was suppose to say ,,about 10'ft from the edge where it drops off into deeper water...Not "'s ...Sorry about that..:smile2::wink:

6. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Thanks for the info Kenny...

7. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    2 small creeks come into the area where I fish this lake I can take worms and catch gills right there during the day then at night then hopefully the monsters come out

8. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I usually catch mine in the shallow coves at night. Big flats go into these shallow waters to feed on the bait fish that move to shallower waters.

9. musky_D

musky_D New Member

State:
    Plano, TX
    Near deeper water? The res. I fish has about 30 shallow coves to choose from. Most are filled with standing timber. How do you narrow it down to the best coves?

10. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I find the nasteast and the most wooded cove i can find.

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    lots of trees line the area and sort of lean into the water I have seen some nice largemouth in the thickets in the area