Lake Liberty in Oklahoma - Anyone catfishing?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by skeetermagnet, Feb 27, 2006.

1. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Liberty is just about 10 minutes from the house. I've seen a lot of catfishing there but I've never seen any catcatching. There are a lot of places to fish from the bank for the boat deprived. Has anybody ever had any luck there?

2. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey skeeter i fish liberty all the time. it is a great fishery, have lots of good luck there, maybe see ya there sometime, who knows, i might have been one of those guys u seen there. lol

3. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have fished there several times for Flatheads and never had any luck. but, I've have caught a bunch of whitebass there. There are some impressive pics in the baithouse. If I remember correctly, the lady that works there told me someone caught a 63lb flathead there last year or the year before.

4. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i forget how big it was, but it was nice.

5. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Do you fish for flatheads out there? Catch any big ones? How about Lake Guthrie?

6. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    catch mostly blues. i drift for them in my boat.

7. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cool, I didn't know there where blues in there. Do you catch some good ones?

8. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    pretty decent, usually catch some in the eight to ten pound range. average about five pounds. fifteen to twenty on a good day, five or six on a bad one.

9. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I remember hearing that a big flat came out of there several years ago. Of course you hear that just about anywhere that sells bait, too.

Where's a good spot to start on Liberty?

10. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You got me! I have never caught a catfish out there. Some of the pics in the baithouse are pretty impressive, so I'm sure there are some big ones in there. I recently moved out here pretty close to Liberty, so hopefully I'll learn how to fish it this summer.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Let me see if I can remember what I heard over the last several years regarding these lakes. Both were built somewhere like in the 30's for Guthries water supply. They were filled by pumping water from the Cottonwood creek and by natural drainage. When water was pumped from the Cottonwood, Flathead catfish were introduced to the lake. For sporting and eating purposes, both lakes were initially (and still are) stocked with channel cats from the OKDW. That pretty much was it for the catfish population until about 25 years ago when, as I understand it, the lake officials pretty much turned their backs and let guy's catching blues from Kaw and Keystone to put live ones in the lakes. There was no effort to obtain blues from the state. So, what is in the lake now is the remants of these 3 populations. I believe both lakes are better lakes for the scale fish now than for catfish. If you were to fish either lake extensivley for the large flatheads, and there definetly are some in each lake, you need to do it at night using extremly large perch or shad for bait. The catfishermen used to fish it with surf rods and flat bottom boats. The boats were used to take the baits out so they wouldn't be thrown off when they went for distance. I have seen quite a few 40+ pound flatheads from Guthrie Lake.

12. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Wow! You are quite the historian! :0a31: It is good to know info like that. I think I might go ahead and buy the city lake annual permit this year. Seems like it is easier to go out for a couple of hours if you know it is already paid for.

Thanks for the great info!

13. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info. That is very interesting.

14. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    going out to liberty today, see if i can catch a few kittys. let ya know how i did, who knows, maybe i'll see some fellow bretheren out there. later

15. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    So hotrod, how did the fishing go last night? Any pics to post?

16. hotrod98s

hotrod98s New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    it was dead, lol not even a bite.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    These two lakes are not good cat lakes when it's still cold. It will pick up later in the spring. Right now, the crappie should be schooled and ready to move in for spawn. If you can stand to fish for anything other than cats, try live bait (usually minnows) about a foot off bottom. You can either fish it from a boat or bank... if you catch a 1/2 pound crappie, everything in that school will be appx 1/2 lb. If you catch a 2 lb crappie, everything will be about 2 pounds. If your in a boat, you may want to tie a line to a crappie with a float on it and put it back in the water. It will rejoin the school and you can follow the school around untill you get your limit - make sure to retrieve the first one though. Have fun and stay warm. Oh, incidentlly, watch yourselves on these lakes. Quite a few people have drowned from dumb stunts.

18. bj78

bj78 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Is Liberty a no wake lake?

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    No, Liberty is pretty much wide open. They ski and do their jet boat stuff there in the warm weather. When it starts to get cold, the skiers get off the lake and we can fish it for about a month...then the duck hunters get the lake. Can't figure that out...we pay for an annual permit and then are denied fishing the lake for about 4 months. You can create as big a wake as you want to, but remember, the tree in your hull may be your own. Someone else asked about fishing Liberty...my suggestion is that if your bank fishing, fish the northeast corner of the dam and along the dam itself. When I was a youngster, I hooked a bass that destroyed all the gears in my reel while fishing a hula popper off the dam. I have always liked Liberty. Guthrie Lake has more "press" about large cats and bass...and a close friend who I think is quite intelligent about fishing in general, thinks Guthrie Lake has a State Record flathead and state record saugeye. All you have to do is catch it.

20. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    funny u asked fish it a lot during the summer, with my nephew hotrod98 it has a good shad population and is loaded with big blues.big for a 250acre lake good place to start is ( bait) north end of the lake drift back to dam. brush on east bank goes from 5@ N END .to 25 at dam flat heads on west bank close to dam poles only , permit at guthrie lake camp on weekends . during the week it is great too many pwon week ends best tue = fri hav a day