Lake Lewisville Report 4/30/07

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bobby-catfishing, Apr 29, 2007.

1. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I filled a last minute spot for a scouting trip this morning. I needed to get back out since the lake came up to see how conditions had changed. On the water at 8:00 and off by 11:30. We moved around quite a bit for the first 2 hours. Mostly just looking for some concentrated fish. We found them at 10:00. Boxed 22 channel cats up to 3 lbs on punch bait in less than 3' of water.

http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lewisville4042907ul0.jpg

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Real nice mess of fish.

3. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bobby,
    Great update! Lots of folks overlook LakeLewisville but, as you proved to me on a recent outing, THEY SHOULDN'T! This lake is chock full of catfish. Good to have a guide working there that shares our passion for catfishing! Luke Clayton

4. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Be going out agin this weekend. Been getting limits og cat in 2-3 feet of water.

5. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    were those fish full of eggs?

6. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    Most had eggs. Some were about to bust at the seems. The fishing keeps getting better every week. Hopefully I'll be able to take my daughter out tomorrow morning. She loves to catch catfish.

7. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    Some of what I've caught have been heavy with eggs. The larger ones anyway. The spawn is about to start.

8. Catfishmomma

Catfishmomma New Member

State:
    Irving, Texas
    :smile2: I've been going to the Lewisville Barge and so far nothing. I've been fishing for cats and crappie. Where abouts are you going to find those lovely catfish? That is one beautiful picture of those cats.

9. jetdocx

jetdocx New Member

State:
    Corinth Tx
    Just head to shollow area's with grass or trees with a slip bobber and some punchbait and you can limit out

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    now when you say shallow and in trees, how can you tell if your fishing in the right spot?

11. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    These were caught along shallow rip rap. Here is a link to an article that I did with Luke Clayton. It pretty much describes where, how and when.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46712

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm always happy to help folks out.

12. bobby-catfishing

State:
    Highland Villag
    Kevin,
    You should know if you're in the right spot within a minute or two. I like to focus on active feeding fish. We usually get bit in a matter of seconds after getting our baits out if we're in a good spot. If you don't catch a fish or two within 10-15 minutes you need to move to another spot.

13. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    To me shallow this time of year means around 2-4, maby 5 feet. I look for trees where the cattle egrets (big white birds ) and green herons ( smaller than great herons) are nesting. Don,t worry about getting in really thick brush because thats where the nest are and it is where the fish are. Use heavy braided line and xxx strong treable hooks. I use a #6 hook and Danny Kings punch bait. I lock down the drag so the fish can't run into the brush. I use an 8 foot catfish ugly stick and when I hook a really good fish I just rare back HARD and winch it to the boat, otherwise it will tangle in the brush. If I pull the hook loose doing that I figure its better than having the fish hopelessly tangled in brush that it will never pull loose from. If the fish don't bite after 30 minutes, then I spread a quart of sour grain around the area to wake um up and try again. If they don't bite in another thirty minutes I move to a different spot and try again. I keep 5 of these type of places baited out this time of year and it is loads of fun. We have thunderstorms poping up all around today so instead of going fishin we are goin to eat um. That means FISH FRY! Every bit as much fun as fishin.

14. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Shallow with cover closeby is good butnot EVERY shallow area with cover will be holding fish. Find a windy bank with a few birds (egrets or herons) along the edge of the bank and get ready to catch some catfish! Remember, those birds HAVE to catch fish in order to survive. They are the single best indicator of shad/catfish when fishing close to the bank. Don't be aftaid to fish REALLY close to the bank, in water 2 feet or less.