Lake Lewisville catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Big B, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    There are some good cats in and around the marina. I fished in a boat slip in about 40ft. I used a slip rig with cut bluegill. I caught 7 blues and 5 channel cats. All were keepers. The biggest blue was just over 30 in. All channel cat were caught with a float any where from 3-15 ft.

2. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    Which marina are you talking about? It sounds like you had a lot of fun.

3. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Eagle point marina, and I'm going back tonight with a little different plan. I only had out 1 catfish rod that evening tonight will be 2.

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Nice catch Brian. The catfish are biting on Lewisville despite the falling water levels. They are holding tight to structure and you're sitting right on top of it. We had a decent trip Saturday morning. I have this weekend off, but should be back on the lake next weekend. Save a few for us.

-Bobby

5. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I went back to the boat slip and fished for a few hours. Didn't catch much but I did manage to land 2, one small channel cat and my new personal record blue 33+ inches. Now I'm looking for one over 3 ft.

6. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The only difference in trips was that I put out a floating minnow bucket with a 8 lb sledge hammer head and some dry dog food on the day I caught 12. The hammer head does 2 things it sinks the bucket( i go about 3 ft) and you can pick up the minnow bucket and give it a good shake and the dog food will start a chum slick. The oils float and the dog food itself spreads out and slowly sinks. I usually use this method for carp but it works great for cats too.

7. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah the dog food thing normally works pretty good, and congrats on the good big catches!

8. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Spent labor day weekend at the boat slip. Most of the fishing was done at night. Lake water levels have got the cats moving to new areas. The bite was light. We caught only a few cats. 4 channel all on Danny King's punch bait blood and 6 blues all on perch. 3 of the blues were around 3lb one was 7lbs 9oz a 12lb 6oz and 14lb 7oz.

9. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I went back to the boat slip this afternoon (1:00 or so). Water is now 38ft deep. I decided to try a tip that I got from a post. It said that if you hook a gill through the eyes it will stay alive longer. This didn't work for me. Not only did it not live longer but it didn't work for me. About 30min after dropping a line in I had a great run. Went to set the circle hook( not really set it but let the rod load and reel). I missed the fish. Four times in about 15 minutes this same scenario happened. Four good runs and four misses all on a 6in gill. I decided to hook them in the tail like I have been doing. Five minutes later my clicker went off. Hook up 20lb blue. CPR and the line is back in the water. Ten minutes later clicker goes off another hookup this time 12lbs CPR. Five minutes after that the clicker went off again. And another hook up 8-10lbs. This fish went to feed a needy family since it may not have been over 10lbs. Three for three. All of the action stopped as the sun started to set. My advice is not to hook through the eyes but hook it in the last 1\2 in of tail. I hope this post helps.

10. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Back to the boat slip last night about 6 til midnight. I met up with a lady that was fishing years before I was born. I set her up with a fresh cut gill head that she had just caught. About 2 minutes after dropping her line in. I was walking to drop in my line. And Alice caught a 5lb flat head. That was in 37ft of water. I got a 5lb blue. I have caught several cats right there. Most being trophies over 10lbs. But not a flathead just blues and channels. We were too late they quit biting after the sun went down and the front came in. Going back right now.