Lake Lenexa Perch-jerkin

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Oct 14, 2009.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Got a tip from my buddy Shelby about the big bluegill at this new lake.He was using them for bait but I'm lookin to catch my dinner. I had been out to look at it but was having some battery problems with my 36 volt motor....so I hadn't been fishing there. It was 40 degrees and misty and overcast not exactly the time of year I normally go bluegill fishin'. I normally am out looking for the spawners in the heat of summer. They tend to scatter and the bigger ones move to deeper water this time of the year. I had some corrosion on the connector to my depth finder so it wasn't working not a good omen for exploring a new lake.I tried bobbers and worm around some standing timber and visible cover and had no bites for an hour.I was gonna pack it in and go to OLathe to troll for saugeyes.So I took the bobber off and drifted back towards the boat ramp freelining a worm and a splitshot about 6 inches above it.I immediately caught a 10" bluegill. So I rigged another rod and proceeded to drift for the next 3 hours and caught 21 keepers. I was gonna take a picture of a steaming platter of delicious deep-fried bluegill fillets but my wife and kids had already demolished them when I got home from work.There were 20 left I ate about a dozen and my seven year old son ate the rest pushing his total to 15 pieces. To say my family likes to eat bluegill and crappie would be a massive understatement. They are spoiled if my wife goes to the grocery store and buys another kind of fish they won't eat it.I know where I will be next weekend.I'm gonna load up my boat with kids and load up the livewell with gills.I already stocked up on size 10 hooks.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thats a lot of big bait brotha

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Good job Eric. I've never bluegill fished from a boat, but from the bank I've noticed that there are times you have to take the bobber off. Sometimes letting your bait settle on the bottom for 15 seconds or so is key, other times it's better to move it along very slowly.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Really enjoyed your post Eric!

5. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went Saturday morning back to Lake Lenexa. Weather was horrible...40 degrees raining and windy.I had on insulated pants, a hoodie and a full gore tex rainsuit and my camo hunting coat underneath. I caught 15 keepers and 2 channel cats 2 and 3 lbs.With a 5ft rod and 4 lb test I was real lucky to get 'em in.

Attached Files:

6. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Went back to Lake Lenexa with Troy {TAS 286} to catch some more bluegill. We would go quite a while without a bite and then all 5 rods would start jumping.Started out with no wind at all but by 9:00 we had about 10MPH winds and we had to double the weight.We started getting snagged and we weren't getting many bites. Troy left at 9:30 with 15 keepers. I stayed and deployed the drift sock off the front of the boat. All of a sudden I started catching bigger ones drifting within about 20 feet from the bank. 2 different times I got triples.I ended up leaving at noon with 25 keepers. Not too bad for a city park this time of the year. Beautiful little lake...only about 30 acres seems bigger than that.Instead of complainig that I've been going fishing too much the wife has fixed fresh fried bluegill 3 times for dinner since last Monday. Oh well I guess I'll go trout fishing in the morning at Lake Henry and head back for some more gills after lunch.Thanks to Troy had a good time and caught 40 keepers.

Attached Files:

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Eric, thats a nice mess of bream, those are good for the frying pan.