Lake Lavon

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sigmar, May 16, 2008.

1. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Going out to Lavon Sat. morning, anyone have any ideas? Going to be fishing the southern part of the lake. Last time we went we caught a mess of sand bass but I'm ready to hook into some cats. Which this year I haven't had much luck with.

2. Sigmar

Sigmar New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well we spent all day on Lavon Sat. and didn't catch one cat. Did catch 7 nice Crappie the short time we fished for them. Not sure what the heck I'm doing wrong with the cats tho. Tried drop shot rig, carolina rig, fished timber, under birds, rip rap, tried DK bait, worms and cut bait. This keeps up and I'm going to hang up my rods.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Lavon has been tough for me as well this year, but I don't have a boat and I don't have a lot of time to fish.... Everyone has been saying fresh shad is the ticket, and they are thick around the boat ramps in the morning... Bring your cast net.

Good luck out there...

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i fished lavon a few weeks ago. it was real windy so i mainly bank fished around the branch area. i caught sand bass and some blues, all on shad. the drum were biting fairly good on carp bait.

5. JohnnyD

JohnnyD New Member

State:
    TX
    Just saw this post. Lavon is a great cat lake, but you definitely need fresh shad. The 2 North ends of the lake in SHALLOW water usually produce good numbers as well as size. By shallow I mean 2-4 ft up in the green brush.