Lake lanier

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by rooster1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    im new at fishing. i bought a used 16 ft v hull and made a fishing boat out of it .my dad and uncle go with me every other sat to lanier and put in at clarks bridge its close to me.we use livers and dead herring and we usually catch 10 or so cats the biggest was 12 lbs. we usually go up in coves and fish. sat we didnt do very well fish wernt biting, just wondering were a honey hole is around clarks bridge and any good bait ideas . my boats kinda slow so we usually go around the 129 bridge and back up the river a little

2. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Well kind Sir, you seem to be well on you way to mastering the fine art of catfishing. When you leave the boat ramp go across the channel fish the coves all the way southward, fish north ward around the rocks. Try the big cove past the jumping rock northward.

Go south under bridge to 129 keep going look to the left you see a small island.fish around it, if you get close to the water in let station you gone to far!

Bluebacks are my favorite!

I hope it helps you, let me know and ill find some more!

Also try fishing early morning or at dusk!
    Good luck
    Brian
    :big_smile:

3. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i have fished in the cove behind the island but never around it we went sat night all night and only caught 3 they wernt biting at all i even tried under the 129 bridge in 60 ft of water where is the jumping rock

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    When you leave the dock go northward, up the Chatt, River toward Lula Bridge. You will see a gaint rock where folks use a couple of ropes to jump in the water. The water is around 20 to 30 feet deep.

Its a good place to fish however its normally full of boats and people. Just go up about 1/4 mile more and it will open up to a large cove, about 4 to 5 feet deep. Its a good place to fish!

If your boat has a shallow daft you can go north ward you will run into a meandering channel good fishing there, and as you go north you will find a place full of stumps and logs! great fishing there!

Hope that helps
    Brian:big_smile:

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I hoped it worked out for you, it would seem im at disadvantage!

6. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    CHAMBERS KNOWS HIS BUISNESS.

7. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    chambers why are you at a disadvantage? my dad went today to hammonds bait and got some more herring. im planning on going next sat ill try your points out maybe the cats will be biting better

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Don't know of any honey holes, but welcome to the BOC! This site is full of good info and great people

9. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Chambers: The place you talk about north of clark's bridge - the meandering channel and stumps and logs - is that before you get to where the river takes a hard left (or you could go right into a small cove)? I have a home on the cove immediately before the jumping rock it has some cats. I caught about a 4 lb on a brim head a couple of weeks ago. Have you ever had any luck where that old timber is standing just north of jumping rock? Thanks.

10. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i went out sat night and found the standing timber but my uncle didnt wont to try it thought hed get hung up i went on around and fished a big cove on the left water was deep got 1 in had alot of bites we only caught 3 allnight the last 3 times ive been out i havent had much kuck and i move all over the place the ish just arent biting good now

11. Chambers TA

Chambers TA New Member

State:
    Georgia

Hey this is Teresa. Brian is off the net for a while, but this is his answer.

Only thing I've seen caught in the timbers is crappie, but if you continue on around the channel there is a large shallow cove that goes 4-7 feet across the channel there is decent catfish in there. My son, David, got into a bed of baby kitties, maybe a pound or less. He had fun catching them and throwing them back. My grandbaby had fun watching and saying "daddy caught a baby fish".

Brian caught a fairly good size one there.

12. Chambers TA

Chambers TA New Member

State:
    Georgia

That is the cove Brian is talking about. He said they were on the bed right now and he said to use circle hooks and they were more apt to move the bait out of the bedding area and if you use the circle hook you are more apt to snag one than with other hooks because if it gets near them it will go in them. He said he thought they will be off towards the end the first week of July and return to more normal, but then it will be more dusk to dawn. The water is a little warm.

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Fish have got to come off their beds soon

14. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    so thats why there not biting man i can tell im not catching anything how long will it last?

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    Id say in the northern part of the state maybe no later than the first week in july. They should be done and hungry. They will be more apt to come to the shore in the evening and early morning, Day time they gonna go deeper.

16. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i like to fish from 7 pm to 5 in the morning . I thought night time was best for cats. What do you think about best times to fish?

17. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    cats still arent biting at lanier . we went past jumping rock in 3 places then we hit coves all the way under 129 bridge . we had eight poles with livers and herring and only got two bites all night. ive never been and not brought home 3 or 4 thats got me down on fishing . somebody let me know when they go to biting