Lake Lanier

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Lawyer33, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have a house on Lanier a litlle north of the rowing venue in a cove. I can catch catfish nearly anytime with nearly anything from my dock. They are all 2lbs or less (mostly less). I know there have to be some big cats around, but can never seem to catch any. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bigger bait. Try big cut bait with a 4/0 hook. A big bream head keeps the little guys away, hooked through the eye still gets good hookups.

I've been to Lanier a few times lately, got one good size channel cat, and about 10 small white cats... the white cats are out in full force.

I've found that the white cats seem to be out more in the spring and early summer, and then go away and the channels are more common starting mid-summer all the way through the fall.

3. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    heres one of them dinky white cats... this one from the bank at Van Pugh

[​IMG]

4. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks. That picture of the "white cat" is what I catch. Never heard them called white cats. I'll try the bream. Do you fish it on the bottom?

5. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia

Yea, I only fish on the bottom. Cut bait or old shrimp are all that I use.

The quickest way to tell the difference between the white cat and channel cats are that white cat does NOT have a forked tail like the channel cats do. White cats also have a big giant head, and white chin barbells (the 2 small ones under the jaw). Whereas I've never had a Lanier channel cat swallow a circle hook, them white cats seem to swallow deep almost every time.

White cats dont get very big either, get one over 3lbs and you might have the Lanier record :)

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]WHITE CATFISH[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scientific Name: Ameiurus catus [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Identification[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A member of the bullhead group of catfishes, the white catfish is usually blue-gray above, fading to gray on sides with a white belly. It has a moderately forked tail with rounded ends, and its upper jaw extends slightly beyond the lower. The white catfish is sometimes mistaken for the channel catfish, but the white catfish has a much wider head and lacks black spots on its sides. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Habitats and Habits[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unlike flathead and blue catfish, white catfish are native to rivers and streams that flow to the Atlantic Ocean. They can also be found in the French Broad and Pigeon rivers, although they may have been stocked in these Tennessee River tributaries. While quite common, white catfish are often overlooked. This may be in part to their small size compared to flathead, blue and channel catfish. However, these fish are aggressive feeders and have a tendency to feed more during the daytime than other catfish. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fishing Techniques[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]White catfish make excellent table fare, and anglers can catch them using many of the same methods for other catfish. Worms, minnows, scented baits and hellgrammites fished on or near the bottom work well.[/FONT]

6. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Here is a picture of a Lanier flathead. I did not catch this.

This is the only actual flathead I've seen from Lanier. Heard many stories, but never seen proof like this :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC its great to have you aboard, if you can catch some small blue gills and stuff like that you can use small blue gills, and you can catch some bigger ones and cut the heads off of them and use them, plus shrimp chicken livers and stuff like that is good channel baits good luck and keep us informed on how you do.

8. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks for the information. I am not getting to fish much due to the the low lake levels. Soon as I can I will be back at it. Walked down the bank of my cove and fished last week. Caught a one pounder or so, but no other cats. Did catch bluegill.

9. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've been going about once a week, but I think the cats might be on the bed, the bite has slowed a bit. The carp have been active and are fun to catch though :)

10. papasage

papasage Member

State:
    Fitzgerald, Geo
    if you want to catch a big flathead use a whole live brim . they don`t eat ded fish like channels or blue cats do . the bigger one are better to eat . like 30 lbs and bigger are still good to eat.

11. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Flatheads are EXTREMELY rare on Lanier. In 10 years of living near the lake, there has only been on confirmed catch that I've been aware of. No blues either. Just channel and white cats.

12. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I fish Lanier alot. What do you use for carp bait? I like to put a line out for them when I'm catfishing.

13. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I used to put out corn, regular canned corn one one line but I gave up after a few weeks of nothing. I have caught a few carp lately out of Lanier - on shrimp. Shrimp is a good bait for both cats and carp. I get more bites on cut Bluebacks, but no carp. Shrimp gets both :)

14. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are a lot of big carp up north of clark's Bridge. They are fun to catch.

15. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    What do you normally catch them on? I'd like to catch some big carp :) I'm not familiar with that area though, any bank access?

16. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I just thought I would let you folks know that over the weekend my wife caught her largest channel cat yet. It weighted 4 lbs. and she really had a time getting it in using her Zebco 33. We were fishing from the bank about mid lake using Magic Bait (Night crawler formula).

17. Tyrone Stewart

Tyrone Stewart New Member

State:
    Georgia
    go to pro-cure.com the best scent from the west coast

18. Tyrone Stewart

Tyrone Stewart New Member

State:
    Georgia
    these scent are so excellent, I always out fish who ever i fish with for what ever this stuff really works well for all types of fishing:wink:

19. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The way I catch carp is I take a loaf of bread and start throwing small compressed pieces in the water. If carp are around, they will start coming to the top and sucking the bread off the surface. From there I put a piece on my hook with no sinker and wait. There are carp up around lula bridge and you can fish from the bank there. About this time of year you will see guys up there bow hunting for them in the shallows.

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Their are photos of some blues in my photo section.