Lake lanier, what kind of cat??

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Yakdawg, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Caught this tiny cat today in a kayak fishing tourney on lanier by a dock with 20ft water. It bit a live BB drenched with catfish attractant, I also chummed the water with chicken liver and the blood from the liver container.

[​IMG]

To me it looks like a little flathead, guess they are small before they get big! While pre-fishing for the tourney yesterday, I tied off to a houseboat in a marina off big creek and had a big fish on a dowlined blueback, it did not hit like a striper, but was big, and peeled drag off my reel until it snapped a leader, I really think it was a good cat, going to have to go back and find out!!!!

So what kind of cat is this??

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Not sure, but looks like it may be a black bullhead to me.

3. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I would say bullhead too. I've caught a lil 8 inch flathead while fishing for bait last year and it was quite distinguishable...was slender and had a dark and molted pigment to it. Now I know there are flatheads in lanier...I was looking through chambers pictures on here a few weeks ago and he indeed had a pic with 3 or 4 channel cats with what looked like about a 5 pound flathead....im not sure if they're in there thick enough to target them yet, but they are in there.

4. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Slight indent in the tail tells me its not a flathead.
    Not deep enough fork in tail for channel.

I'd agree bullhead.

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Bull head, count the anal fin rays!

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks guys! Didn't know there was a such thing as a bullhead, but I do now!

After I caught it I changed locations, do you think that I would have caught more there? Has anyone ever caught a big cat around the marinas?

7. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Anybody that wanted to see how an entry for a "Catch,Photo and Release" tournement looks take a look at the picture posted on the first entry of this thread. You see the fish on the measuring device and the special "token" for this tourney is the blue circular picture next to the fish..
    Nice job Yakdawg..........Pirate Jerry (Ocean Kayak Big Game)

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks Pirate Jerry, this was from a photo/release tourney I was in yesterday, it was a challenge!! First challenge was that you could only "weight in" three fish, from three different species, one cat, one spot, and one striper, I managed to catch all three, but they were all small, a few more pics of Photo/release:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The other challenge was the weather, we all fought huge winds yesterday resulting in 2-3ft whitecaps on the lake, several people went into the water but nobody was seriously hurt, it was a tough day on the lake!

Glad to see other kayakers on the BOC, I am going to go find some big cats form the yak soon!

9. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hi guys, that's a White Catfish. Jerseycat and I catch them all the time. They have big heads, a shallow forked tail and white chin barbells.

White Catfish
    Ameiurus catus
    (A.K.A. - Mudcats, Cats)

Key Distinguishing Markings:
    • White catfish are members of the bullhead catfish family, Ictaluridae.
    • White catfish are the smallest of the large North American catfish species.
    • The White catfish has white chin barbells, which distinguish it from other species. There are four pairs of barbels ("whiskers") around the mouth, two on the chin, one at the angle of the mouth, and one behind the nostril.
    • White catfish lack scales and possess an adipose fin, as well as a single, often serrated spine in the dorsal and pectoral fins.
    • White catfish are bluish-gray on their back and sides and white underneath. Their tail is moderately forked and they have a noticeably broad head, large mouth and stout body and are smaller in size than channel catfish

10. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Heres a few pics of some that I caught form Lanier. They are usually little from Lanier, and for some reason - almos always swallow my circle hooks when channel cats never do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Yakdawg, You need to come down here and fish the Chattahoochee above West Point Lake. It's perfect for yak fishin'. You might hang a 30 pound Flathead, then you would skiin' instead of yakin'. :tounge_out:

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    and bring a dozen of those bullheads for bait! lol. If flatheads get established good in lanier you will start seeing a lot less of them whitecats...

13. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep, I was thinking the same thing. These Flatheads would eat em' up! Can't seem to find any like that in this river. Small channel's are missing too!

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    That would be fantastic! Those white cats are a real pain.

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    That you have there is my ARCH ENEMY!!! I have gotten to the point of hatred for all white catfish:angry:

16. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yes and most likely they would have invaded your spot if you prechummed. I learned my lesson with those little buggers when it came to chumming :smile2: