Lake Lanier in October

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Lawyer33, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I have been fishing twice this month and caught absolutely no catfish, which I find very unusual. I fish mostly north of Clark's Bridge and usually can catch plenty of small cats with the occassional 2-3 lb cat. Any suggestions for this time of year?

2. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I fish the south end of the lake, I have caught cats on every fishing trip this month, up to three pounds.

I have the best luck at night using live and cut herring off the bank, fished on the bottom. I may go tomorrow evening for a few, I'll post up if I have any luck!

What kind of bait are you using?
    YD

3. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I understand that the fall turnover has been going on. That may have something to do with the poor bite on lanier.

4. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I've been fishing with bream heads and live bream. Herring might be worth a shot. Where do you buy it?

5. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    I think Hammonds bait shop has it.

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Lawyer, most people don't give up there secrets(well a lot of people know this one) but herring is the preferred food of choice on lanier! Trust me, I have tried it all!

Hammonds is the best place to get bluebacks. I catch cats with live ones, also cut ones, they keep some frozen that you can buy cheaper. Their site:
    http://www.hammondsfishing.net/

They are in Cumming GA. If you fish around the Dam then go talk to Jeff at the Dam store which is moving, on Buford Dam Rd now, his new place will be on Peachtree Industrial.

I have caught a lot of cats from the bank this month and last while walking up to the ramp to get my truck and dropping cut BB's or live on the bottom and putting the rods in holders on my yak. I have also caught a few suspended cats in 120ft of water. the lake is in turnover now, so I think they will be in the shallower depths.

7. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thanks. I am definitely going to buy some and try them. What size are you catching?

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Hey Yak, what's the surface temp. on Lanier? West Point is in the low 70's. Any topwater striper action?

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Hey FishWestpoint, not sure of the surface temps. I will check tomorrow if I go out. The striper action on top is very good! Acres of schooling fish busting bait is not uncommon. Fished last week in a power boat, we didn't see the acres but my buddy had a 20#er on a red-fin, we also caught several 10# fish and some smaller ones all on top.

Lawyer, get some bluebacks, you won't be sorry! Most cats I have caught are small, 3 pounds and under, but its still fun , there are quite a few in the lake!

10. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Need GPS numbers. :big_smile:

11. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    #'s on Lanier are BR549... according to J. Samples....

12. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Is that where he caught that grouper he said was a bass? :crazy:

13. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Well, fished Lanier today from the kayak. The fish were not busting the surface much, maybe because of the warm temps. My FF was reading 80degrees, but it shoots thru the hull on my kayak so most likely the temp was lower than that.

I did have a big striper on for five minutes, bit a free-lined BB. I horsed it away from the trees and the hook yanked out. Landed a big spot and a three pound or so Cat....while I went up to get my truck, it bit a live BB...I just put the rod in the holder of my yak and let it hook itself while I walked up.

[​IMG]

We need some rain, the lake continues to drop:

[​IMG]

I will be fishing in Savannah next week for Reds/trout/flounder, may do one more trip on Lanier before I go, I will post up if the fishing changes.

YD

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Great report Yak!

15. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Yak: Which ramp do you use?

16. Lawyer33

Lawyer33 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    If you are fishing from the bank with a live blueback or cut. How do you rig it?

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    You can use a carolina rig. 3/4 to 1 oz sinker, bead, swivel, then 2 ft leader to hook for cut or a slip bobber rig for live.

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    You can also fish live herring on the carolina rig. Make your leader just a little longer for live, about 3 ft. Thanks for your question Lawyer33.

19. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Hey Lawyer, I launch from different ramps, but mostly Big Creek, Tidwell and Flowery branch. I catch cats at the end of my trip from each one.

A carolina rig works fine for bottom fishing a live BB, but they bite the cut ones well also, so if you are going just for cats I would just get frozen ones because they are cheaper.

20. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Hes right its hard to find a spot on Lanier that you cant catch at least one catfish the problem is finding big numbers of catfish from day to day. There is a few creek arms down near the Dam on the rt85 side of the lake that had nice numbers of channels in them a few weeks ago but with the sudden shift in temperature I would expect them to start pulling back and getting closer to the main lake near the mouths of the inlets