Lake Lanier fishing

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by hudadak112, Aug 20, 2007.

1. hudadak112

hudadak112 New Member

State:
    GA
    is there any place that i can go close to Lake lanier?
    ive tried from harbor landing in lake lanier island, and caught
    few small cats.
    can anyone let me know where i can catch some large cats over 10lb?
    I really want to know!!
    Thank you!

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well it seems that large catfish over 10lbs are rare. Only one cat over ten pounds has been caught between me and my buddy this year and its not for lack of trying either. I can only think of a couple times this year that we have hooked a sizable channel cat in the lake itself. I had fished from 3 to 6 days a week starting in March and continuing up until the begining of July in many different areas of the lake. All of the catfish over 8lbs came during the month of April

3. hudadak112

hudadak112 New Member

State:
    GA
    is there any other place close to lake lanier for catfish?

4. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well you can hit the lower Chattahoochie down round Atlanta for some blues and flats

5. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    According to the Georgia Outdoor News(GON), fish over 30 lbs. have came from lakes Oconee & Hartwell, but I don't know how close you are to them.

6. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    We never really catch much on lanier islands. Thats where we normally camp.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I hear ya buddy very few places hold any kind of numbers of catfish on Lanier no matter what the bait of choice is

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    im gonna go try between gainesville and dawsonville today, I let you know how I do.

9. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Up the Chatahoochee area Rowing Venue and on up the river is some good catfishing. I have good days and bad days but I believe day in and day out this area is the best catfishing.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    They said on the news tonight that its shut down all night fishing and they will do day within a week or so.:sad2:

11. Georgiaboy

Georgiaboy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Well if you day fish or morning fish in Lanier, you may not catch those bigguns. You see, Lake Lanier is one of the deepest lakes in the state, so that means not all fish are going to be in the first 20 feet. ESPECIALLY botttom feeders like catfish. There is obviously some huge fish down there that never come up. All you can do is get a very long line about 200 feet and see what you can do..(good luck with that)...
    as i have mentioned before maybe a year ago, i know of some small coves by the Buford Dam that had a few cats od decent size. Its not easy to describe so listen up..
    There is a large hill in which you must walk down. big ol hill that anyone does not want to walk up or down because its kinda dangerous. After that you will find a small inlet with a little it of large rocks sticking out from the water. That is the spot. This is a place to get snagged on trees so be careful about casting here. because in this spot your range is greatly decreased.
    Last thing, it is located in the parking lot with the three docks made of metal. Once you get out of the car turn right and it should be a rough pathway and a long hill.
    I have also heard reports of cats being caught in the upper hoochee by the Buford Dam so try that out as well. Yet another snag heaven due to the large disturbing rocks on the ground.

12. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Its to bad that the lake is about gone. Talked to the lake staff behind the dam and the said the corps was going to keep letting water out. Something about saving the lives of mussels one the coast. all I know is I crossed the chatahooche today and it was up over the banks at lake lanier. Looked like it had been raining for weeks.

13. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Well this theory doesnt hold a whole lot of water. The water is less than 60 degrees near the bottom on the south end and there is a thermocline setup in summer the water coming out of the damn is rarely even in the 50s and forage base is almost non existant. And lake Lanier isnt a very fertile lake so catfish of any species will and do have a hard time reaching maximum size. I fish all hours of the day almost 3 times a week in various parts and a 10lb channel is a trophy lanier catfish if ya fish the lake ya just gotta accept it:sad2:

14. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm gonna have to agree with this. I don't really have any better luck at night compared to day fishing. And although I'm not a Lanier expert like Jerseycat, I have caught and released about 50 cats (channels/whites) in Lanier and my biggest was 7lbs. A 10 pounder would be a serious trophy from Lanier. The smaller white cats seem to be more abundant and are more aggressive feeders which keep the channel cat size down. I hate white cats, personally...

I have yet to get a striper, but that's my current goal :)

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Even the white cats dont reach the sizes that I have grown used to fron Fishing in Jersey. 5lb white cats were pretty common where I was from and even they run a bit small in Lanier. But with that said I think this lake could benefit from the stocking of blue catfish that would be suspending along with the stripers feeding on herring and shad. Stripers are fun dont get me wrong but the blues would be a good alternative to the stripers when they have lockjaw

16. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Jersey's right. We trout fish behind the dam and the waters so cold that it hurts when you get in it. After 5 minutes you can't even feel your legs. Can't imagine a cat hanging out in the water on the lake side. i cant stand lanier. To many people for me. Its like rush hour traffic on the weekends. Theres so many boats that they need traffic lights. More people die on that lake than any where else. Probably where all the boating laws stim from. After the sun sets and the maddness calms down we have spent hours without any bites. Might as well send out an empty hook and save the bait.