Lake Lanier Cats from the Yak

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Yakdawg, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Went out this evening in search of some stripers on Lanier. Blanked out on the stripers but ended up with a few cats:

[​IMG]
    This one hit a downlined BB at 50ft over a 125ft bottom! White cat??

Caught a nicer cat close to the ramp in 20ft of water with a BB sprayed with catfish attractant on the bottom:
    [​IMG]
    Looked more like a channel cat to me, didn't weight it, but would estimate around 2to3 pounds.

Overall was a fun evening on the lake, going to start targeting the cats more, hope to find a big one on Lanier soon!!

2. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    All fish get bigger from a kayak, thanks for the pics. Good luck in the future!

3. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Nice fish, I bet they are fun as heck from a Yak.

Yea, first is a white cat. Looks like a channel but the shallow forked tail and white chin (center) barbells give it away as a white cat. Looks like a huge one too, they are usually very small.

4. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    Nice catch GREG ..Thanks for the pics ...I met 2 YAK men on another site and they both chase CARPS in them things ..You done any of that?:0a17:

5. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks, that last cat was pretty big for a white cat!

I mostly fish for striper have just gotten into the kitties, have yet to chase any carp, but there are some big ones in lake lanier so I might have to give it a try! Whats the best way to catch them?

6. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Im all about catch and release, so carp are just as fun to me as anything else. I try for carp all the time with corn and boilies, but the thing I have the best luck on is shrimp! Shrimp is also very good for the kitties too, but blueback herring works better for kitties is you don't want any carp.

I cant find any good carp spots from the bank though. Like Jerseycat says, it's like an invasion of whitecats everywhere it seems these days.

7. joppawood

joppawood New Member

State:
    Georgia
    On lanier, I have had the best luck with the Blueback Herrings. They are best frozen i think. I don't even know how many we've caught with them. Actually, just about anywhere I've had best luck with the blueback. Good fish, BTW, partner I gotta get out there with a kayak for somefishing

8. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Blueback herring is one thing carp wont touch, so if trying for carp don't bother.

But yea, for cats in Lanier nothing beats cut bluebacks.

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    So shrimp for the carp? Might have to try it next week if I can shake these allergies!!

Do you fish it on a flatline or downline? Hook size? Thanks, I catch and release 99% of the time, so reeling in a big carp sounds like fun!

Joppawood, I highly recommend fishing from a kayak! Not for everyone, but it is a blast!

10. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    hehe I fish from the bank only, and never get any big carp. But for the longest time I was only using cut bluebacks and getting cats. One day I found shrimp for super cheap and tried it, thinking I would only get cats - but low and behold I got a bunch of small to medium carp. Nothing huge, but they sure are fun.

I fish on the bottom with the shrimp threaded on the circle hook. Smaller for carp, but not tooo small.

You could always try a hair rig which is how real carpers catch carp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hair_rig

You'll have to Google it, most stuff that comes up is from a carp forum which I can't link here with out getting yelled at :)

Heres a couple I got on shrimp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Guess I will just keep this thread running as I catch cats on Lanier! Hopefully some bigger ones will be caught!

I launched today for a few hours after work, it was calm when I launched the yak:

[​IMG]

Then the wind gusts started and the cold set in! As the night became dark, I headed to the ramp. I cast out a cut BB, and a live BB, put them in my rod holders and went up to get the truck. When I came back I had a catfish double waiting for me!
    [​IMG]
    #2 (bigger than the first!)
    [​IMG]

I headed home happy to catch a few fish, I will get back out to catch more soon!