Lake Lanier Catfishing

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Yakdawg, Jul 11, 2008.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I have caught several catfish in lake lanier, but nothing over three pounds. Are there any big cats here? Mostly use Bluebacks, both live and cut. Thanks for any info!

2. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    i fish there all the time and caught 1 12 pounder. I think there are alot of 20 to 40 pounders in there there probally in real deep water
    what part of the lake are you in? ive heard stories of using hole chickens on huge treble hooks you knows if its true. Im trying to find a big one too but i really havent had any luck in deep water

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    location,location,location! Dang skiters tried carry me off, you should see me doing a PLF at my age!:smile2: Hit like a shack of taters!

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    sounds like some good fishing, that lake has got to hold some big ones

5. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yea, there are some big catfish in lake lanier. You have to find em, but as my dad use to say if you find a little cat the big are not far away!:big_smile:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    makes sense to me Brian, when you find em let us all know where to look

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    MAN, I USE TO PULL SOME BIG ONES OUT OF THE CUMBERLAND RIVER IN CLARKESVILLE, DOWN NEXT TO THE GRAIN ELEVATORS.:eek:oooh:

8. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    lake lanier is a 38,000 acre lake i know it has lots of big ones. i think you have to go to deep water . theres water around 280 ft there by the dam. i never go to the big part of the lake cause my boat is slow and i dont wont to drive any farther gas 403 a gallon here.

9. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks for the info!

I am sure there are some big ones hiding somewhere in the lake, I was thinking up in the river channels would be better but may try closer to the dam. I fish from a kayak, so It might be interesting if I pull up a monster!

10. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    yea that would be fun to watch it pull you around the lake lol have you ever caught a big one? you better hold on

11. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    I have never caught big cats from the yak, but have landed some 15# stripers. They will take you for a nice ride!! (also part of the fun) Went out to day in the yak, boated a 4# spot, had a nice striper break me off:crazy: couldn't find a catfish. I even tried a spot that I caught a 2# channel in last week, and nothing was there, Lanier seems different than most lakes when it comes to catfishing. Or maybe I am just spending too much time looking for the striper.

12. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    yea i talked to dnr and they said the cats were hard to figure out. ive been wanting to get into some striper fishing ive never tried. i live so far away from a blue herring shop i havent had time to get them and keep them alive. what do you fish for stripes with?

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Blue herring for Stripers, Dnr really are not suppose to tell you much! I got a book that may help!
    Brian

14. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    No they don't seem to help much, I am interested in the book Brian......

Rooster,

Like Chambers said, the stripers love the bluebacks. I have caught a few on topwater but that was earlier in the year, for the most part they seem to be deep right now!

15. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    Hate to break the news but you will only find around 120 foot of water at the dam, I know of some 12-20 lb flatheads that have came out of Lanier in the last 3 months though

16. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    120 FT SOUNDS BETTER I WAS THINKING WRONG. I KNEW YOU USED HERRING FOR STRIPERS I WAS JUST WONDERING IF THERE WAS SOMETHING ELSE YOU USED SINCE YOU WERE IN A KAYAK.THERES A BUNCH OF BOOKS ON BARNES AND NOBLE ABOUT CATFISHING. MY WIFE WORKS AT A BOOK DISTRIBUTING WAREHOUSE AND I HAVE A COUPLE ON THE WAY.

17. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Use the same downlined BB's in a yak nothing different. Just have to fish slower because you cannot cover as much water. But the cool thing is that you do not use any gas either!

I am going to do some bank fishing for cats tomorrow night on Lanier, any recommendations on the best type of bait to use? I was going to try cut bream and bb's.

18. Klag

Klag New Member

State:
    Georgia
    In my opinion, there is only one bait to use for cats on Lanier, cut blueback herring. I've had zero luck with cut bluegills, and only moderate luck with shrimp (but the carp love the shrimp if you want some fun!).

Where do you fish? I also bank fish Lanier for cats (no boat) but I'm on the other side (Flowery Branch area).

19. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah I use primarilly bluebacks and threadfin shad for catfish but this year has been a little harder to put together numbers of decent fish week in and week out when it comes to catfish. And of all the hours and locations Ive spent and fished my PB for Lanier is a pretty worn out looking 12lb channel catfish

20. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    A couple of good baits thats easy to come by is cut chunks of chicken breast, and believe it or not good old caned SPAM...:confused2:
    Puddle...