Lake Lanier catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Gazippoman, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    I'm a newbie here on the catfishing forums. I moved down here from Louisville, KY about 9 years ago. Used to do ALOT of catfishing, but haven't found many good catfishing holes near me. I've caught quite a few cat's while striper fishing, but haven't figured out how to target BIG cats on Lanier. Any suggestions? I have a boat, so anywhere on Lanier would be accessable.

I've made the drive to the Coosa river and Lake Weiss on occassion with varied success, but would really prefer to stay closer to home.

Thanks
    Bill

2. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    A 7-8 lb channel on Lanier is abig cat, my PB is around 13 lbs. Fish shallow in the backs of the creeks at night this time of year, with cut shad or pennywinkles. There are some big flatheads that have been caught in the last couple of years, I haven't tried to target them yet.

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I fish all over the south and love to fish lanier, lots of good places. I be glad to give some intel. I think its still a little early yet!

Brian

4. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    I was thinking about fishing the hump right in front of the narrows for cats. Last fall I was striper fishing and got into a big school of cats. Caught 25 in just over an hour.

Of course, I'd be glad to get some intel on Lanier catfishing. Most people tell me I should head all the way up the lake...above Gainesville.

Thanks
    Bill

5. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    My biggest channels have come from the major creeks feeding the Chestatee side of the lake on up the lake this time of year. Don't be scared to float a bait about 2 ft deep right before dark and after dark this time of year.

6. Gazippoman

Gazippoman New Member

State:
    GA
    Well, I was able to get a couple hours of fishing in this evening up on Lanier. Wasn't able to make it up to the Chestatee however. I put in at Charleston, and fished 6 mile. Caught 7 channels between 3-5 pounds off the hump near the narrows. Probably could have caught more, but the boat traffic made it impossible to stay on my spot. Used cut bluebacks. Wasn't able to find any other cats anywhere else on 6.

Bill

7. boohoo222

boohoo222 New Member

State:
    georgia
    i would love to have some intel on where to find some cats on lanier, i havent been there before

8. Owl

Owl New Member

State:
    Gainesvill
    As would I ! I live about 10 minutes from a few of the Parks north of Gainesville but haven't had much luck in the past. I've fished points, coves, the channels...about the only places I haven't hit are under the main bridges like Hwy 129. I have caught exactly two channel cats and one nice spot( on cut bluegill!), and I can catch all the 3 inch bream you'd ever want to see! :) LOL

9. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I havent caught much of anything in lanier. I dont even think there are any blues in that lake. Theres plenty of pan size channels though.

10. rooster1

rooster1 New Member

State:
    ga banks county
    Try using blueback herring and chicken livers. A cat cant refuse a liver but they say the big ones dont go for livers. I caught my bigger ones on dead bluebacks. Some people cut them up but i didnt unless i was running out. Alot of times the bait stores will give you the dead herring to fish with.

11. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    There are a lot of channels slap full of eggs, I think the spawn will kick in any day now, if it hasn't already.

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    fellows, its a bunch of slit in the water, let it calm down, I went way above lula bridge and its rock city usa, they are starting to bed down and nest, time for b52 jugging!:eek:oooh:

13. Jighead07

Jighead07 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Me and my dad are going to wet some hooks in Taylor Creek in the morning.Let ya'll know how we do sometime tomorrow.