Lake Keowee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by chrisblue, May 21, 2006.

1. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Whats the blue cat population like on Keowee.Can you catch 5 or more in 1 day or is it just every now and then thing.

2. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    There are some good ones in there. The water is just so deep it's really tought to get on them. We have never worn them out, you'll just catch one here and there. A few years ago i saw one that would have went 40lb floating dead on the edge of the lake. And this past spring a friend of mine caught a 20lb blue while he was crappie fishing with a minnow.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thank you Trey congradulations on the first place finish I'm gonna try to do some of those tournaments this year too.I'm trying to find a pop-up camper so I can just camp there at 12-mile or is it camper accesable.Another Keowee question does it have alot of trees left standing 20feet down like Hartwell does.

4. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    I don't think there's much of any standing timber. You dont really have much 20ft deep water. Keowee stays pretty deep everywhere you go. You can go way up some of the creek channels to elminate the 80 and 100ft deep water. That's what we always did. I dont think they have any campsites at 12 mile park. The closest place I can think of is twin lakes, but that's a good 10 to 15 minute drive from 12 mile park. it's not too far of a boat ride though.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks I thought 12-mile had a campground.What I was reffering to was is theyre (submerged) standing tember in Keowee like at the main lake part of hartwell.

6. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've been crappie fishing quite a bit on Keowee here lately and there is hardly any submerged timber that we've seen. Here and there you may get lucky but then again we haven't really scoped out the cane creek area.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    We had the tournament today on Keowee.First place was a massive flathead 3lbs 5 ounces, second was two channels 3lbs 2 ounces, we had third with a 1lb 7 ounce monster channel.Bad day boats everywhere.The tournament director said they will be no more tournaments on keowee and me and everybody else was glad to hear that.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    all i have ever seen on keowee is good smallies annd trout also a few large carp

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I've caught some real beasts out at the reactors late at night with some cut herring and bream right of the bottome. PB out there is 31 lb. Blue cat I have hooked some other big un's but I just get broke off with my 30lb. stren high impact and penn inshore reel. Pretty much anywhere else you have to SEARCH and SEARCH untill you are ready to move onto a more friendlier catfishing lake. Although Keowee is well know for the nice eatin size channels that can be caught:roll_eyes:

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jason, is the reactor area accessible by boat, and if so where is the closest ramp?

11. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the closest ramp i know of is war path landing directly across the lake from the power plant. i dont know if you can get up in there since 9-11 havent been up there since then. heard some striper fisherman say you couldnt get to close to it going up keowee river though.

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Yes, the reactors are accessible through Warpath Landing. You can see the reactors directly accross from the landing. 9/11 did not have any affect on the reactor fishing you just cant get on to the bank and try to walk up to the powerplant, no duh! But go up @ night time, be sure to have a fish finder, and PLEASE be careful! The reactor discharge/incharge can be very turbulent!

13. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I'll probably make my 1st trip up there this week during the day, so that I can get familiar with the area. I'll let you know how it went. Thanks for the info. :smile2:

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Hey Pat! I'm knew so it won't let me pm you until i get 10 post. I'm working on it though.

15. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I was able to get some leeches today from a local bait shop - I've done pretty well with them in the past. I'll be heading out 1st thing tomorrow morning & will post results when I get back.

16. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Went to Keowee yesterday, fished all around in the hot-water discharge area and a few other parts of the lake. Nothing! Nada! Zip! Zero! :confused2: :angry: :crazy: :eek:oooh: Maybe I'll take up bird-watching :roll_eyes:

17. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    Fishing keowee can be tough. If I were you i'd stick with hartwell. You should easily be able to catch all the channels you want this time of year. The flatheads take a little more work. If you just wanna catch some cats though just go anywhere up the keowee river and anchor on the edge of the river channel using cut herring. We have a problem trying to keep out bait away from the channels. It's ridiculous how stacked up they are right now.

18. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Excellent! Where would I launch from?

19. weathermantrey

State:
    central,sc
    you can put in at lawrence bridge and go up or down,can't really go wrong either way. I've really wore out the channels after a heavy rain if you go up from lawrence bridge and then take the left fork. go up to where it makes a sharp bend to the right and anchor right there.

20. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Thanks a bunch, Trey. I printed out a map and will head out there tomorrow evening. I'd rep you again but it won't let me.