Lake Keowee South Carolina Catfishing Report

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by SC Hartwell, Jul 9, 2006.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Hey guys I have heard a lot of people talk about Keowee Catfishing reports. Keowee is known for its numerous amounts of good eatin' sized channel cats and monster blues; it is also home to a few small flatheads but are hard to target. So, if you can send in some reports to help fellow fishermen out! Thanks and good luck fishing! :big_smile:

2. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Channel catfishing is excellent! Fished up near Jocasse Dam with cut bream. We landed many in the 2-6 lb. range with 2 blue cats 8 lbs. & 22 lbs.. To catch the bigger catfish you need to free spool so the fish will not feel any resistance then set the hook about 2 seconds after they stop running. Use a circle hook if you intend to use the method but it will work with any other style hook. Many have channels have also been caught on night crawlers. Light line methods are the best chance to land a big fish.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    If you wanna have a zebco 33 blast. Go to the keowee marina and anchor in front of the tiki hut in about 25ft of water. You'll catch all the channels you can handle. We've caught some good 4 to 6lb channels there and an occasional blue.

Originally posted By weatherman trey

4. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Come on guys!! Let's hear something, anything! Some good tips on fishing locations would be good.

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Sounds to me like you got that lake figured out as good as anybody I've only fished there twice and didnt do very good because of all the pleasure boaters.

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Jason: Where would I launch from to get to Keowee Marina? I would like to go out there next Sunday.

7. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Pat: I don't know which landing would be best. I do know that there are several small marinas on the lake. If you are talking about the marina that has the Tiki Hut. Let me ask weathermantrey about that. He should know the closest landing.

8. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Keowee definitely has a lot of pleasure boaters but after about 11:00 P.M. the boaters disappear and the catfish begin to roam. Keowee is very rewarding if you get her figured out. Many people just drop all hope after a bad night of fishing. Persistence counts!

9. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    You can pay 5 dollars and put in at the keowee marina, or you can go put in at south cove and shoot right across the lake, that's what I would do.

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    When was the last time you fished behind Jocassee dam? When was the last time you fished in front of the skimmer wall?

11. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Mudholekid I fished behind Jocassee dam last Sunday July 9. I did alright. I caught some decent sized blues and a ton of small channel cats. I haven't hit the skimmer wall recently. :smile2:

12. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    All species of catfish are biting excellent! Many blues in the 20 lb. range have been caught near Keowee dam.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Fished all night at the "hot hole" and waterfall caught about 20 little channel cats on cut bream and frozen shad. Nothing of much size but we did catch an 8 lb. blue cat @ the waterfall which made things a little more exciting!

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I guess the catfish have gotten over the no bite stage because my friend landed a 22 lb blue cat @ the waterfall last night. Same as always fresh bream head. I guess the cats get into the food that is thrown in the water. Need someone to show me how to post pictures please.

15. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Nice report, Jason.
    To post a pic, when you click on "reply" to a post, and the page opens, look at the frame below where you type your reply. It reads: "Additional Options" at the top of that frame. Part way down you will see "Attach Files", with just below that "Manage Attachments". Click on this to get a popup window (if you have anti-popup software, you may have to disable, or hold down the 'control' key). Inside that popup window you will have an option to upload up to 3 files, one at a time, from your pc or a website url. It gives the file types and max size in the window also. If your pics are too large, you must resize them with whatever software you have available.
    If you have them on your pc, assuming they meet the size requirements, simply click on "browse", then locate the files on your pc (desktop works good for temp pics), click on them, OK, then click on "upload". After you upload the first one, you can do 2 more for that post. When you are through uploading, click on 'close this window'.
    Now all you have to do is click on "Submit Reply", and it should post.
    I think I've got this right. Good Luck.

16. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Hey Jason, did you catch that cat with the glowing stomach near the nuclear powers station :crazy: :eek:oooh:

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Where's this water fall at.Up around high falls.I've fished Keowee alot ,but never heard of the water fall.Which creek is it in.Throw the dog a bone.

18. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Backwaterkatz thankyou! Patman, it didn't have a glowing stomach but it did have 14 eyes! lol! Mudhole kid, if you know where Gap Hill landing is and the camp ground. Go out onto the main body from there. Go up the lake about 1 mile and it is on the left. I don't know exactly what it is called but they're usuall a lot of redknecks out on the beach playing volleyball and tons of other people. The hillside is getting very developed too with huge houses. All of the food these people throw in the water draws in the carp which attract the big cats overtime and little cats (which the larger cats feed on also). But, my friend and I have caught many cats in there 20+, 30+ and even one 44 lbs. documented @ gap hill landing! But, sorry I wish I could give you more info on the fall, I will look @ a map and try to give you the specific cordinance, but the only landmark I ca give you is that it is up past gap hill about 1 mile on the left heading upriver towards the dam. If you pass the bridge you have gone too far.

19. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Caught many cats off of my dock which is in about 36ft of water. The water temp is 85 degrees. We caught many fish using my chum bucket. This brought in many that were 20 +. I caught my largest channel of a bullhead. My friend caught a 28 pound blue cat on worms go figure. The big boys are finally coming out to play!! :big_smile:

20. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I fish at the waterfall up fall creek a lot when i was younger, we never caught anthing bigger than a 2 or 3lb channels, We did catch some huge carp there though. The water is over 100ft deep in front of the waterfall.