Lake Keowee Catfish

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cleon, Oct 9, 2007.

1. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Saturday night I was crappie fishing on Lake Keowee and was getting skunked. At 1 a.m we decided to us the four catfish rods we had taken and try a new spot for a different type of fish. I haven't really fished for catfish all that much so I just hoped for pretty much anything. Set up in 28 feet of water and forty-five minutes later landed this 28lb cat. I had to share with you guys. I think I may have to fish for catfish a little more often. :smile2:

Attached Files:

2. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Way to go Jeremie - that's a real nice fish. Kinda looks like a flathead.....

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nice fish. You know whats messed up ? I fished Sun night but my problem is that the crappie the were hitting hard,,,really big ones. And here you go crappie fishing and land a #28. LOL. I was on 12 Mile River, using minnows 4' under a bobber. Maybe this week end I will just go fishing for crappie, lol....Nice job : )

5. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    nice fish jeremie. I doesnt take but 1 real good cat to get you the catfishing fever. I was thinking about going out to keowee this coming up weekend. hows the water levels? Im sure its probably a little low like everything else but maybe I can still hook into a 28lb'er like you.

6. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    The water level is about four feet down. I heard they are planning on dropping it to eight feet at the end of the month to do some work on the dam. The water temp is 79-81 degrees up the creeks, close to the power plant it is in the mid 80's, and behind the jocassee dam it is much much cooler. Good luck if you go!! :big_smile:

7. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that's a good fish by anybody standards...congrats on a great catch...i don't think it's a channel though by the way the anal fin looks in your picture...it looks more like a blue...if it is a 28 lb channel than your gonna make a whole lot of people on here extremely jealous including me!!!:wink:

8. pog2

pog2 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nice fish Jeremie, I bet it pulled good, sounds like you still had fun even without the crappies

9. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    foothills I believe you are right. I couldnt load the first pic the other day and all I saw was the 2nd pic but after you said that I tried again and it loaded this time. It is a blue like you said. Nice catch either way though cleon. The channel cat has more of a rounded anal fin and the blue has a flat edge to it.

10. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for clearing that up guys, I was kind of confused myself. :eek:oooh: Either way, it's the biggest fish I've ever caught!! :big_smile:

11. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thats a nice fish. Really good for Keowee

12. etreed

etreed New Member

State:
    sc
    Really nice fish. I am new to lake fishing this area and this is the first really nice cat that I've seen from Keowee. Great job. Any suggestions for an absloute new comer?