Lake Keowee Cat Questions????

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flatheadsalyer1, Jun 19, 2009.

1. flatheadsalyer1

flatheadsalyer1 New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Alright fellas, the last trip to Keowee was a bust, I will be camping at Mile Creek the week of the 4th. I can't let this lake whip me. Any advice on catching these channels would be greatly appreciated. In 20 years of fishing off and on in this impoundment I have never done real good, but I am determined to figure these fish out. Thanks in advance for any info,

Steve

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Steve, I've fished keowee 3 times: Once by hot water discharge (and caught nothing) and twice directly across from the Keowee marina drifting off of a point into some depp water. Both of those time I caught a few eater size channels, but nothing to make me go back there. I've been a member here for 3 years and it doesn't seem like too many folks fish Keowee for cats - most around there go to Hartwell. If you figure them out, tho, hope you might share some tips :wink:

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Wish I could help Steve but I cant ever get on the lake to try it much. I've fished that park plenty, its where I like to take my family also. I've always caught channels with liver/crawlers out there of the bank. I never did try shrimp...that might work though. Pat licks his shrimp and does really good but that's your choice, LOL.

G'luck and enjoy your Fathers day ; )

-Jim-

4. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Pat thanks for the reply, I just cant figure that place out, I have several friends that consistantly catchem, I have tried there tricks to no avail. I am gonna have to get back down to G'wood and hook up with you and Pop Pop and see what we can do!

Jim I am gonna shoot you a pm with my cell # if you aint got nothing going on the week of the 4th and want to come out one night and give her a try give me a call. I will be there Wed thru Sunday. Heck if you wanna bring the family and just hang out that would be good to. My brother will have his 2 kids with him and my sister will have her 3 I` think my daughter will be down the end of the week as well.

Thanks again guys,

Steve

Have a Happy Fathers day guys!!!!!

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Steve if you want to come to G-wood let me know. I'll be more than happy to share my insights. I've never fished Keowee but here is my take on it as it pays off for me everywhere. At this time of year fish the river runs and creek arms from 18ft to the bank. Secondary points in creek arms and shallow flats must be tried. Studies on Channel cats have shown they can travel up to 2 miles in a 24 hour period. I personally believe Blues follow the same pattern. Give an area 35 to 45 minutes and if it is none productive hit the water to the next spot. I'm going to put a link to an article that can help. Read it a couple of times and think why it is you see millions of bream in the summer at the bank, and why you can't see them in the winter. If you can figure it out, you’ll see why you catch Cats shallow in the spring and summer and deep in the winter.
    Hope this helps, as I’m not an expert on it. But it helps me.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...objectType=article&cmid=OLARTICLE_31249_TITLE

6. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Steve, I'll try and lead you in the right direction. I primarily fish Keowee for crappie but I usually bait up a couple rods for the kitties. Last week there were small channels schooling up Little River and a ton of them. Here are some areas I would check out. Since you will be at Mile Creek I would suggest Crowe creek and Stamp creek. For Crowe creek you should be able to find cats from the long point in front of the landing all the way to the back of the creek. Sometimes, this area will be covered with nice eaters. My personal best, a 29 pound blue, came from this area. In this area you'll find some structure. My favorite area of Keowee is Stamp creek. Check out Little River from the mouth all the way back. Also, if you go all the way back up Stamp creek you'll go under an old wooden bridge. Keep going and there is some good water to fish. Last week I caught two, a 17lb14oz blue and an 18lb6oz blue in 50 to 60 feet of water on the main lake side of Stamp Creek landing. For the big fish, you can't go wrong with bream or crappie heads and shad. Chum if you can. I hope this helps. Good luck!!:big_smile:

7. flatheadsalyer1

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Thanks alot guys for all the info. I am trying to absorb it all.
    Pop Pop, I will surely give you a holler when I get a chance to come G'wood way. Yall have a great Fathers day!!

Steve

8. cleon

cleon New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Steve, I went yesterday and anchored in Little River. Fished from 6pm to 10pm using livers, nightcrawlers, and frozen shad. Caught 22 from 6 to 14 inches and a 6lb flathead. They are there, just a lot of little ones though.