lake kentucky

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by sportsmanfromkc, Jan 6, 2010.

1. sportsmanfromkc

sportsmanfromkc New Member

State:
    kansas
    i am going to a family gathering at lake kentucky/ kentucky lake....how ever it is called....and just wanting to know some more info about the lake and the area.....will be weekend after fathers day and i am bringing my gear....what works for cats? where to go to bank and boat fish....info like that...not seeing any threads about this lake on here, does it go by a different name to the locals or just not that good?

2. festus

festus New Member

I've only fished Kentucky Lake below the dam. This was at least 30 years ago and in mid to late spring and we were bank fishing. There were plenty of small shad and skipjacks 5" to 9" long and were easily caught on tiny jigs. We caught plenty of eater size channel cats up to about 8 pounds using nightcrawlers, live skippies and shad, and cut shad and skippies. However, I saw a HUGE catfish head floating down the river, freshly cut. I looked upstream and saw someone dressing their catch on the bank. They looked to have some big fish, but I didn't walk up and see them up close. A friend of mine lived on the Army base at Ft. Campbell. We took our fish down there and filleted and cooked them.

So I really can't tell you about the fishing this time of year below the dam. But Lake Barkley and the dam isn't too far away from Kentucky Dam. You might want to try it, also. I remember the Land Between the Lakes was a sportman's paradise. They had gobs of bait shops and I found lures and rigs that's impossible to find in my neck of the woods. Hope I helped.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010

3. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kentucky Lake is a very good fishing lake and river. We've caught several nice cats there as well as a lot of other people on here. We've used cut bait like bluegill and shad and had real good luck with it. Haven't tried dip bait, but sure it would work too. As far as bank fishing, I can't tell you where to go. In a boat we've had the best luck where the shallower bays come off of deeper water such as creek channels, the main river channel, etc. If you have a fishfinder, it also helps to find the structure.

4. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I fish Barkley lake mostly but they are connected through a canal.Here is a couple of websites that have a fishing report for Ky. Lake.Good luck and what part are you going to , I might can give some info if you will be around the Kenlake marina area in Aurora.
    http://www.lbl.org/FishingReport.html
    Also they have a phone number with more up to date info it is 1-270-924-2000
    http://www.explorekentuckylake.com/lakesarea/fishing/reports.htm
    This website has lots of good info and several reports from guides , they are mostly crappie and bass guides though but Capt.Dave Stewart's report is usually acurate about the catfish as well
    Also a good number to have is the dam generating schedule it tells when and how much current they are pulling and the fish relate to this more than anything.
    1-800-238-2264

5. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    staying at the ken oak resort i guess...it is fiancees family get together. i am going for the fishing...lol...is that bad or what....

6. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That's a good area to fish. Either from the bank or boat from what I've been told. That's where the National USCA meet is going to be, at the Kenlake Campground. I have been there and it's a real pretty area, lots of bluffs and timber and across the bridge to the Land Between the Lakes.

7. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Yeah , that to me is Aurora , I think it may actualy be listed as hardin though.I have fished that area often from bank and boat a few times.The best for me from bank is around the highway 68 bridge.I have had luck in a boat in the channel from jonathon creek to above the bridge at ledbetter creek , that is where the kenlake marina is located.If the wind is up Ky. Lake can get rough and this or jonathon creek will give some protection.I have always anchored and fished these spots .I try and get on the channel and cast towards the ledges and try and find the depth.I know alot drift fish this area with good results as well.There is a good bait shop in aurora as well.Good luck

8. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    now i am even more anxious to get out there and fish in june....lol...thanks guys....

9. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Don't overlook the marinia at kenlake, there are some big flatheads in there. Also some nice channel cats, my pb 25lb channel cat came from there.

10. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I agree with Griz if you come in June definitly try the long riprap point at Kenlake for channels..they spawn off those rocks and if you can catch the water right you can do really good..early June is also a good time for big redear.

11. Tool958

Tool958 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've got a buddy that tries to go down and hit the rip-rap when the locusts are hatching. If I remember right, that's about the same time of year. One year he hit it when the red-eyed ones were coming out and there were enough of them, that he used them for bait. He had to quit fishing because he ran out of cooler space. I'd hate to have that problem.:Happy:

12. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Yeah unning out of room for eaters is a problem I love to have..lol

13. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    bump

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Them big redear are good eating as well as bait, especially for flatheads. If you're wanting some to eat, the heads and guts make great bait and you still have the fillets to eat.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  15. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I fish the north end of Barkley and the fishing in theese 2 lakes may be the best in the state ! The tenesse river is chock full of fish ! will post more later and good luck the spawn is load up time on eaters !

16. sportsmanfromkc

State:
    kansas
    will be headed out from kc on the 25th and will be at kenoaks that night headed home sometime monday morning......bringing a few cat poles and some poles for the kids to catch bait..anyone wanting to meet up give me a call over that weekend and i will be happy to say a hello and have a beer...how is the lake levals and the fishing? anyone wanna save me some money and loan me a boat for the weekend? lol...the ones at the marina seem a little high so we may not be doing that, if not we will be shore fishing...how far from ken oaks to the dams? any help is good help...thanks...anyone from around aurora wanting to show me around can contact also.....913-709-0721..prefer text...or look me up on facebook...travis ross jr

17. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    do any of the bait shops near gilbertsville sell skipjack

18. Irvan105

Irvan105 New Member

State:
    Ky
    kens bait and tackle does but can usually catch some pretty easy below the dams

19. catfishcrazee

catfishcrazee Member

State:
    illinois
    oh thanks