Lake Julian Jan. 2, 2009

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by flying_v_64, Jan 3, 2009.

1. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I got up bright & early this morning and headed down to Lake Julian to see if the channels were biting.
    Lake Julian is a small, thermal lake supplying water to the CP&L powerplant between Asheville and Hendersonville NC. The water temperature in the lake maintains a constant 60°~85° year round. There are 2 sides to the lake. The hot side and the cool side. The hot water evacuating from the powerplant empties out into the upper "Hot" side of the lake. It then travels down a deep channel for approximately 3/4 mile to the lower hot side where it's siphoned by a large pipe, (the hot hole), to the cool side of the lake where the water level is 2 or 3 feel lower than the hot side.
    I decided to fish the upper hot side of the lake at the mouth of the channel.
    The morning started out rainy, windy and cool with the temp around 35°. The bite was very slow but I had the patience to stick it out and i'm glad I did. Around 10:00 this morning the rain and wind stopped and the sun started peaking through the clouds. At that time I landed the 1st channel. From that point until around 1:00 pm they were hitting every cast I threw out. The lake allows you to keep only 6 fish so I started culling until I went home at 2:00. The cats were all good eater size. I packed up my 6 and came home with a smile.
    :wink::smile2:

Attached Files:

2. deepwoods

deepwoods Member

State:
    north carolina
    Great post. I know the lake but have never fished there. Congrats on the day

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for sharein the trip. Have ya ever fished ( excuse my spellin) Lake Chateugue. Been to Hayesville a few times to visit kin but never got a chance to fish it.

4. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey George.
    No I haven't fished Lake Chatugue. Would love to give it a shot some day when I gey my boat online.:smile2:

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some real nice fish and a great place to catch some channel catfish, Congrats brother and keep us updated on future trips

6. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Solina and I went back out to Lake Julian today. The fish were tearin' up the chicken liver just like yesterday. The weather was rather nice with sunshine throughout the day. we both caught our limit and Solina had the catch of the day. A nice 4.5 pound channel. She was unable to hold the fish for the picture so I held it and she snapped the camera.
    I used circle hooks, (2/0), for the first time in this lake and the fish seemed to hook themselves. Lost only a few. We had a blast!
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    I forgot to add the pic to the last post here's Solina's 4.5 pounder.:roll_eyes:

Attached Files:

8. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sounds like a great day we got skunked downeast but there is always another day