LAKE JUGGIN

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by jafacman, Aug 22, 2008.

1. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    Is it common to run juggs @ 18 inches deep? A buddy does and it works OK ...With the seasons changing I made some at 5 and 10 ft. Would this be a waste of time and just redo them?Or does 18 inch work year round?Havent tried them yet...

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I wouldn't redo them , I would go with what I had. You might hit on something
    really good. I fish mine at different depths, on some I fish Two hooks on the
    same jug one about 4' the other 10'. Don't be afraid to mix it up.

3. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Remember the 50-hook limit if you put multiples on, I got carried away and had too many once... I figured it out before I put 'em in the water, just hated leaving a few in the truck...

4. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    :crazy: remember...... i didnt know.....we take 25 thank god ... really appreciate that...never put them all out,we do have them labeled with name,address and tele# as per ga regulations..many thanks:big_smile:

5. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    The 50 hook limit is per person, whether it's jugs, trot lines , set hooks, bank poles, limb lines , rods and reels, or any combination... So if you put out 2 25 hook trot lines and decide to R&R also, you're over the limit (unless you have a commercial license)... But you can always take a couple of hooks off of the trot line to make up for your rods...

6. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    Small technicals like that aint so small:crazy: It's a big help in detering unwanted troubles:roll_eyes: This is very helpful to the average fisherman... If anymore cliffhangers come to mind PLEASE feel free, compelled or even obligated to post it...:big_smile:... Thanks from (all of us)

7. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I called the fish and game office in social circle a couple of years ago and told them I had a problem with putting my address on trout lines , jugs and for the life of me I could not understand why our law makers would require sportsman to tell criminals when they found a line or jug where they could go and steal guns because most fisherman are also hunters. I asked them why wouldn't name and drivers license number do the same thing , it would tell the fish&game the same data but it would not tell criminals anything unless they worked for the DMV. I was told that they saw no reason why any fish&game officer would have a problem with that information on jugs or trot line . Do not use until you check with FISH&GAME.This is what they told me.

8. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Wow, now that's a great idea ! How 'bout using the Fishing license # instead, I don't want a crook knowing my driver's license # either...

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Maybe just buy a 5.00 permit and use that # on both then nobody would no anything except the F&G people

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    be honest. i put my name city and zipcode. and dont give a rats butt what any official says. thats all thats going on them.:wink:

if they cant find me in the system with that info then they need a different job.

11. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    According to the 2008 Georgia fishing regulations, you do NOT have to put your name or address on JUGS or LIMBLINES, only TROTLINES. The less than 51 hooks rule applies ONLY to trot lines. Not any combination of trotlines, jugs, limb lines or the number rods you may also be fishing with.
    Set hooks and Jugs:
    • Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
    • You must possess a valid sport fishing license when fishing set hooks and jugs.
    • It is illegal to use jugs on Lake Tobesofkee and state park lakes.
    • There are no other restrictions on the use of set hooks and jugs (number of, season, dimensions, materials, etc.). However, DNR encourages anglers using these methods to check them regularly, remove them at the end of the fishing day, and avoid areas popular with recreational boaters.
    Sport Trotlines:
    • A sport trotline is one line or a combination of lines using less than 51 hooks. Sport trotlines must be:
    1) marked with the owner's name and address and with visible buoys.
    2) submerged at least three (3) feet below the surface of the water.
    3) attended regularly and removed after the completed fishing trip.
    • Unmarked or unattended trotlines will be confiscated by DNR. It is unlawful to use any sport trotline with one-half mile below any lock or dam on any of the freshwaters of Georgia.
    • Only channel and flathead catfish and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater daily limits) and American shad and Hickory shad may be taken with sport trotlines.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Arkansas allows you to use your name & address, your driver's license number, or the license tag number of your current vehicle.

13. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Notice that according to the regs you can only take channel and flathead catfish on trotlines, jugs or limblines. Not blue cats, unless the DNR considers blue cats to be channel cats. :confused2:

Set hooks and Jugs:
    • Only channel catfish, flathead catfish, American shad, hickory shad , and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater game fish daily limits) may be taken with set hooks and jugs.
    Sport Trotlines:
    • Only channel and flathead catfish and nongame fish (those not listed under freshwater daily limits) and American shad and Hickory shad may be taken with sport trotlines.
    [/quote]

14. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Hey Paul, I know that's what the Rules and Regs magazine says, but when I called Fisheries a couple of months ago, the girl there said call Law Enforcement and gave me the # for the Oconee/ Sinclair area... The LEO that I talked to there said specifically a 50-hook per licensed individual any combo and that all jugs need name and address. When I asked why that was'nt in the book, he said it's just a guide and that they could'nt put all the rules in it...Both people I talked to said there was some meeting coming up to discuss the Regs for next year and that they would bring up the idea of more clarification....Personally, I don't mind how many hooks a person uses, as long as none are left out after the fishing trip is over... I know people that leave their limb lines on the river below the Sinclair dam all summer, that's just too dangerous...And I did reel in an old trotline on Oconee one time, every hook was rusted about gone.. And years ago I lost a couple of milk jugs on West Point, I looked for those 2 for the rest of the week I was there, figured maybe somebody else got 'em...Oh, I did'nt read it really well some weeks ago, but I think the Regs are written differently on the web site, I have'nt looked back at it ...Please let me know if you hear anything on this, if there's a law, I want to abide by it, but the post about crooks and guns has got my interest up...

15. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Joe, I don't run lines shorter than 3 foot. If you run 18 inch lines then theres going to be times you'll have to get into 18 inches of water to get them, and my boat doesn't like 18 inches of water,lol.

I have lines from 3 to 8 foot, I mainly jug in the river, but have used them in a lake without problems.

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Hey Ed, I looked at the regs magazine and it does not say anything about having to mark jugs or limblines, only trotlines. The only difference between the internet version and the magazine version is, in the mag version at the very bottom of the paragraph on "Sport Trotlines and Jugs" it says "use of 51 or more hooks is considered commercial fishing". In the mag version they do make it sound like that applies to both trotlines and jugs. But on the internet version, it says there is no limit on the number of jugs you can use. It still sounds to me like the "number of hooks rule" applies only to trotlines. I guess the DNR needs to clarify what the rules are a little better. Also, in the daily limits section they never mention blue cats, only flatheads and channels. So I guess they do consider blues to be channels. I think the DNR needs to rewrite the rules on this subject. How can we abide by the rules if we don't know what the "real rules" are?

17. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I know it doesn't say it specifically in the rules/regs, but I'm pretty sure that jugs, limbhooks, and trotlines should all be labeled with name/address, and that using over 50 hooks requires a commercial license (makes you wonder about that 200 hook catfish keno trotline). Blue cats have the same regs as flats and channels, they just aren't listed for some reason. If anyone is unsure about anything I would just look in the regs book or online and call your local regional district fisheries office.

18. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I think I'll ask our local game warden and see what he says. After all, he's the one that writes the tickets. I will post his reply when I hear it from him. Oh yeah, the regs also say trots and jugs are illegal on Lake Tobesofkee. Jafacman take note. :wink:

19. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Thanks guys....We need to push the state to clarify the rules...The only problem then becomes more and more rules....The old rule of "Ignorance is no excuse " does apply here, what we don't know can hurt us...If all the Rules and Regs were accessable online, a little research in the actual codes would clear it up, but all I can find is the basic online stuff...Paul, I was planning on fishing Oconee/Sinclair, that's why Fisheries gave me the # to LE over there, I want to comply with whatever regs the man from the area wants so I don't get any crap on one of the few days this year that I'll get out..One that's real confusing is the "Over 50 hooks is commercial " and "No limit on jugs "....I suppose if you had 51 single hook jugs out, you would be commercial fishing and OK if you had a commercial license... I'm so con:confused2:fused

20. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Yes, It is confusing. Whats really bad is when three different sources tell you three different things. :confused2: