Lake jug fishing...anchored or free floating Jugs?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Old Bill, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Just a question or two for those who now, or has in the past set out jugs on lakes.
    Do you most of the time set out anchored jugs, or free floating jugs?
    If you mostly set out free floating jugs…how many hooks per jug line, and what depth?
    All my experience has been with a few anchored jugs, and that is why I’m asking.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    Below is a photo showing a jug waiting for me to check it using a 14-foot sailboat. Hey, you gotta use what you have at the time!

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Oops! Here is the photo! Taken three years ago at Lake Eufaula in Oklahoma.

Bill

Attached Files:

3. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I wish we could jug fish here..............sounds like a riot.

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Bill,

for Eufalla you can use either one. My wifes grandfather used to use 1ftX1ftX6in blocks of styrofoam for his jugs. They were free floating, but they had a 1 lb weight on them to keep the line straight.

The thing about Eufalla is that there are some HUGE fish in there, so if you DO use an anchored jug, make sure that they can't run off with the jug AND the anchor.

5. Katfishing Cajun

Katfishing Cajun New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Bill , definitely free foating for us. I tried to anchor them and my catch ratio went way down. We start on the up wind side and let them drift. We go and anchor out a little ways and throw the rods out. In the bayou's we anchor them out. Good luck sir!!!!!

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When I was a kid we would set out free floating jugs with just enough weight to keep the line straight, we also would paint the jug a very bright color so as to not be missed.

7. bc179whitetail

bc179whitetail New Member

State:
    St.Louis Missouri
    We use free floating jugs with enough weight to hold bait. A couple years ago a friend of mine went where a friend had told him to go because the week before they slammed them on grasshoppers so they went. After floating for a hour with no luck they noticed the big green grasshoppers were sitting on the jugs.:confused2::confused2::confused2: He said as soon as they added some big split shots it was a great afternoon.:big_smile:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Most of my jugfishing is in the river, where there's a current; the few times I've tried lakes I haven't had a lot of luck. Generally speaking, I prefer freefloating jugs, but if I'm targeting flatheads, I definitely use anchored jugs. First of all, I've never caught a flathead over 2# on a jug floating in the current. Once a freefloating jug got hung up and was no longer freefloating, yeah, I've caught some flatheads. Second, if I'm using live bait, I don't want it to carry my jug away. Third, if I'm targeting flatheads, I'm probably targeting a specific spot where I think a flathead lives or visits to eat. If you don't want to lose jugs, you have to do one of two things when you anchor them; either use an anchor so heavy a cat can't move it, or use a weight that won't submerge your jug. My 2-liter soda jugs will support about 4#, so I use a 2# weight for an anchor. That way, if a big cat drags my jug into deep water, it doesn't disappear.

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Tony, I used to use 3 1/2 lb weights on my jug lines, but the last time I went to the lake I switched over to 1 lb because after awhile 3 1/2 lbs sure gets heavy!

I've seen two monster size flat heads that almost filled the bed of a pickup truck...that other people had caught...but, I've never caught anything larger than about 3 lbs on my jugs. But, then again I'm a p*ss poor fisherman and never had more that 7 jugs out at any one time.

But, I'm trying to learn and have great hopes for this year!

Bill

10. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jerry, thanks for the information. That's a good point about the right size of weight for the size jug. I have in the past used a double V 2-liter jug setup, but I 've been making some noodle jugs that I plan on using this spring.

Bill

Attached Files:

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Jeff, what depth and how many hooks do you normally use?

bill

12. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Shane, this spring I will try free floating and see what luck I have. Do you have only one hook on the line or more?

Bill

13. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks for the chuckle......I could just see that. Never had the bait on top of my float..........left it on top of may car a couple times.........dodging traffic to try and save my sawbellies.

Richard

14. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Richard, I enjoy jug fishing very much because there is that feeling of anticipation....that maybe today there will be the "big" one on this jug! Sigh! Of course, with me there is also the disapointment when the "big" one is never there!:sad2::wink:

Bill

15. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Where I fish we don't get those liviathans you see on this sight. Heck anything over 15 is very rare. Almost exclusively channels in New York. High twenties is the largest I ever caught. I thought that was a giant til I joined the BOC. I'm going to NC this summer for a family reunion, Gonna try to crush my PB there.

16. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Richard, when I caught a 18 lb catfish years ago I thought it was a monster size fish!:smile2:

To date I still haven't caught another fish that large or larger! But, that's OK...I don't have a very large fry pan anyway!:crazy:

Bill

17. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    I don't eat anything much over 5-6 lbs...........I would like one to put a good one on my avatar. I don't even have photo's of my PB. I was afraid it wouldn't make the trip and survive. I have a great lake for 4-10 lbs fish.
    Funny thing is I catch 90% of the fish in the same 1/8 of a mile stretch.
    Maybe I'll jug it a little this summer in NC. Gotta make sure I check all the regs. I've got a spot that is snag heaven, went in there one time with a mask and dive light. I know there is a least one fish that could beat my PB. I was more suprised to see him than he was to see me. I got a date with that fish.

18. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    If you anchor your jugs you should use a loose slip knot. One that would ( when a fish takes the bait and runs with it ) set the hook, and two will come untied so the fish can run and tire himself out from the jug but not pull loose from the hook because of it being solidly anchored. It's good to anchor them with this technique so that you can jug fish certain selected areas and your jugs won't float out of the area due to stronger winds, current, etc. etc. Good Luck

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when im fishing jugs for flatheads i dont anchor my jugs with weights.i use enough weight to hould my pearch down close to bottom and use sewing thread to tie my jug to a tree or limb hanging out over the water.this is the only time i use jugs when fishing blues or channels i only use r and r.

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

I am not farmiliar with the finer points of jug fishing, but, if you tie it off to something doesn't that defeat the purpose. I mean why not use rod and real. I always thought it was a way to cover more water. Please fill me in on other strategies.