Lake Jordan

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by HHinNC, Apr 2, 2006.

1. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was travelling down the road and happened to stop by Farrington Point wildlife landing to have a look around. I saw quite a few floaters washed up on the bank there....all catfish. Most were small... 10" long or so, but one was probably in the 3 lb. range. There were maybe 10 or more that I saw in a relatively small area. I know it's not all that unusual to see a few floaters in a lake, but it seemed curious that they were all cats.
    I couldn't help just wonder what happened to them. Looked like they had been dead for a few days. Is this pretty normal for Jordan?

2. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Wouldn't surprise me one bit if someone had caught them and later decided it would be too much work to clean them and threw them back. I've seen this a few times and it really makes me mad.

3. klail

klail New Member

State:
    Durham NC
    NC division of water quality claims it was an algae bloom depleting oxygen. There has been two kills in the last four weeks. The first happened on New Hope creek. According to NCDWQ the algae bloom was responsible for killing catfish and shad. The last one was a little over a week ago. This time on Morgan Creek. Same scenario, algae bloom=low oxygen and high nitrogen=fish kill. They are blaming all this on agricultural runnoff but there is less farm land now than there was ten years ago. Oh but we do have plenty of country clubs and golf courses with highly fertilized grasses.:sad:

4. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a little surprised about the algae bloom/low oxygen occurance this time of year. I have always thought that this was more of a hot weather deal. I suppose it could happen. The water looked 'normal' to me...slightly stained brownish. I didn't notice any algae smells. A lot of fertilizer is being put down on the ground this time of year, and I can understand where this might be a problem in our waterways/lakes.