lake james???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by McDreamy, Jan 11, 2010.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    was wondering if anyone knew if lake james has decent sized cats or lake rhodhiss?????

2. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    From what I've heard, there is. I personally haven't fished either place but, I do intend to fish both this year. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I think Lake James produced the state record white catfish at around 13 pounds.

To my knowledge there is not a fishable population of large blue catfish or flathead catfish in either lake.

Lake Rhodhiss is known for producing some nice size stripers.

4. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There were enough flatheads in James that wildlife officers found them over 10 years ago. My best has only been 3 lbs but I'm a beginer when it comes to flatheads and I have a lot to learn yet about catfishing in general.

I live 2 miles from James as the crow flies but I drive to Hickory 4 out of 5 trips to the water. James is a tough lake to learn to catch fish in.

If you try and you get on em, Please let us know how etc.

5. NCSBI185

NCSBI185 Member

State:
    NC
    I live only about 30 minutes from James. I used to catch a lot of crappie. As far as catfish goes I've never really caught many. It's a big lake though and they are probably in there somewhere just hard to find. I've never heard of any really big ones being caught though.

6. James Bentley

James Bentley Member

State:
    N.C.
    James has a few cats ,but it is a hard lake to catch fish on,I have fished it alot 2years ago,but never did do realy well,have seen people do good on smalmouth and largemouth,I do better on Rhoadhiss,good luck