Lake Ivie

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by iviecatman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    Been windy all week. Finally got on the water this afternoon. I use swivels but the big blues still find a way to twist things up on the trotlines. Three hooks were twisted up with the main #96 troline cord around them. Still had a blue around 12 lbs (Yes, he was twisted, lucky to have him) and four channels from 3-9 lbs. Cloud blew into Elm Creek about 15 minutes after I got off the water. Hoping that the yellows turned on with the storms that passed through. Having a family reunion this Sunday evening they all want yellow cat for supper. Got tomorrow evening and Saturday morning to get the job done.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    how deep u finding them there?
    That wayer temp always seems to be 8-5 degs lower than lakes in this area.

3. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    The channels are coming in water less than 4 ft deep. The blues are shallow too but are also suspended near the surface at night in deeper water. The yellows and channels both are comming right at the edge of the flooded salt cedar. It'm sure that you would catch them shallower but fishing in that stuff would be very hard.
    I would like to say that fishing is the worst it's been in years but I would have to admit that I am simpy going to have to learn the lake all over again. It's up 20 ft from the past two years. Everything has changed. I have a couple of big fish fries coming up very soon, so it looks like a one night jug trip to Tawakoni to take care of that.

4. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    why tawakini, if ur gonna go that direction, go to richland chambers for catching numbers of 5lb blues. Or go to Lake Limestone and TEAR UP the 3-8lb blues. This time of year on Limestone is fantastic. Lots of good fishing around the few sand bars plus the whites school in the same area and u can catch ur limit of them too when they come to the top.

5. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    I have never been to Limestone. Richland Chambers is a great lake from experience but i have never seen anything like Tawakoni. Does Limestone have a state park with a cleaning station? I have not found a decent cleaning station on Tawakoni or Richland Chambers. You have to find a place to discard cleaned fish. I like a place like Choke Canyon, they come and haul off the fish two or three times a day. That makes everything so much easier.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    Thanks

6. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    they do not have a cleaning station from what i know, but they do have dumpsters and free camping areas in the county parks.
    The trees in the lake are a problem if u have a really light boat, i hated to get my bass tracker stuck on a tree, would have to drive in circles for couple minutes to get it loose

7. turkey buzzard

turkey buzzard New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg,Texas
    If the lines are twisted quite a bit and fish are gone allot time I have found that I'm actually catching alligator gar. You can also try taking your hook and bending the barb so that it is off set and easier for the big cats to get hooked.