Lake Isabella

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by jamesnewsom, Apr 13, 2006.

1. jamesnewsom

jamesnewsom New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Anyone been having anyluck at all in Isabella ? It has been about a month since I ave been up there. My last trip up I got skunked with no fish and no bites. What about the kern river ? Anyone pulling in trout or Cats out of there ?

2. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I grew up in the bakersfield area but havnt fished those waters in many a year.I know there was a massive trout plant a week or 2 ago at Isabella for a tourney that they had but have no idea of the catch rate since rthen.

3. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I fished the Kern River way way back in 1981. I cought a catfish one day that acted like a rainbow trout, it jumped out of the water several times while fighting that fish just a pan size channel but gave a good tug maybe because the waters so swift and there used to having to fight the current?

4. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I am going to take a shot at it this weekend. The lake is supposed to be full so I can get back in the trees where we caught a boatload last year.

will let you know how it turns out.

steve

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I only fished it one time last year Steve. I hear the bite is exploding there:big_smile: Crappie too:lol: I need to get down there real soon. Hope you catch a bunch:smile2: Let us know how you do bro.

6. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Saturday was good......weather was great.....beer was cold and to top it off we brought back 10 keeper cats over 2 pounds and a couple of decent 2 pound trout. Sure beats working!

7. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Another great saturday. Got to take my son with me this time, caught over 30 catfish, brought 10 home for dinner, the biggest was 8 lbs. great day and you shoulda seen the two that got away!

Steve.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Any news bout Isabelle? Should be pumping out big cats around this time.

9. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    I went all four saturdays in may and we caught over 30 catfish on each trip. largest was 8.5 lbs. We caught them in the trees on live minnows.

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Bro for the update. There are some monsters in that lake. How bout the crappie bite?

11. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Crappie haven't been doing anything that I have seen. Usually when the crappie bite up there takes off you see people walking around with loaded stringers everywhere you look but nothing this year. I am going back up next weekend to chase some more catfish so I will let you know how it turns out.

12. schefner

schefner New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Fishing was a little slow at Isabella this weekend. Caught a couple of small crappie (used them for live bait) and about 20 small catfish. On top of that it was almost too stinkin hot to fish and the algae is starting to show up again.