Lake Isabela

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by drews0311, May 24, 2007.

1. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    im planing on going fishing up at lake isabella this weekend. has anyone been there? does anyone have any suggestions about catching the cats? i plan on just bringing some stink bait and of course alot of mac.. thinking about using a chum bucket what you think?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Hi Drew, From bayrunner ray... Fished Isabella "a time of two", from boat and shore at night as the lake is closed at night for boating.

The "local friends of mine" recommend many places, the problem is the lake level..... Out in front of paradise cove in the middle of the south fork end, the water is some 60 feet deep in the middle of the channel... there are many submerged trees there. I'd say get away from the "dam crowd" at engineer point (which is good) and get over to camp 9, as there are some rocky reefs out from the shore... Stein cove is good, as rocky point bay cove.... all back into the south fork is shallow... but good for crappie and cats etc.

I usually camp near the launch ramp at the south end, and have stayed at paradise cove camp ground.... kissack cove is another area from the shore. Locals use shad and mackeral, and even clams for bait....

I have had luck with crappie west of the rocky point area, as well as in the trees in the south fork....

Good luck with the fishing... have patients with the holliday crowd that you encounter.... I"ve sent two picks of the south shore.. paradise cove area.....

for a map of the area....goto fishernet.com, central calif.

bayrunner ray

3. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    thanks alot bro i didnt expect to get that much info. what size cats have you usually caught there? is there a spot that you can camp right by the shore? if you had to pick one spot most likley to get on some fish what would it be?

thanks
    joe

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey drews good to see around, hope ya have been playing it safe, ya herd from cliffy, ya been in the states or out kickn some a$$, dude keep ur head down and have a safe 1 and above all good fishn

ps sorry on no info on isy, going 2 b hot

5. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    riverbud

i have been in the states since the last time i have posted. no more iraq for me. havnent been doing much cating but just hooked up with new friend thats getting back into it. i havnt heard from cliffy he moved about 8 hours north of me so we havnt hung out for a year or so. hows the fishing been? anyword on a gathering out at irvine or anything? i want to take my new friend and show him how the boc does things.

6. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    drews, bluehunter is planing a gathering at the vine in sept sometime he is also got a fish off derby planed for the river on june 23 lookn for some flats, we'll be kickn some big ones up were hoping last weekend got a 16# flat, hopeing to break my record from last year of 48#,, pm bluehunter on the river thing,

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Joe, Paradise on the south shore is a good camp spot.....I was there three years back and it was extreme high water..... There was also a year of no water where it was very low, and could not launch w/out a 4x4...lots of camping along the water...

Nothing big for me, size wise.... 2-3 lbs Camp 9 is rather primitive for camping, but should be good fishing ... Paradise has good facilities

good luck with the fishing.... bayrunner ray

8. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Gents

well the camping/fishing trip up at lake isabella went well. the lake was beautiful as well is the kern river. i think the best thing about the trip was all the nice folks at the local shops and stores (man it was like back home).

anyway we didnt do as much fishing as planed but i did nail a couple 2 lb channels off of the trust cut mack. needless to say we ended up catching more of a buzz than anything, but it was a great trip.

joe