Lake Hudson in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishcentral, Jan 6, 2006.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I bet you didn't know there was two Lake Hudson's. This is a small 250 acre lake just 7 miles from Bartlesville. There's no bluecats in this lake but there's lot's of channels and big flatheads. Since this is a Rod and Reel only lake the populations are very good and there's been some pretty big flatheads taken for this lake several in the 60 to 70 pound range. The only problem is the lake is closed from 11:00 pm to 6:00 am each day. I've been learning that they very rarley close the gates so I'll be spending a lot more time on this little lake this spring. It's close by, not much pressure and a darn good shot at state record flathead.

Attached Files:

2. dobbie

dobbie Member

Hey Chris, believe it or not, I jug fished and trot lined Hudson back in the 70s.
    I was pretty young and didn't catch too many over 20 pounds. When they outlawed that, we started fishing Caney River around Oak Park in B-ville. Another place you might think about is Bar Dew Lake. They stocked it with channel cats in the early eighties, but I think someone bought that lake.

3. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Hey Dobbie,

I know a couple of people that still trotline and jug Hudson from time to time. They know it's illegal out there but it's really not enforced much. One guy I know has been caught several times juggin at night and they just tell him not to do it again. No fine or anything just a warning. I've seen the pics of 60 pound flatheads and 20 pound channels coming out of hudson off setlines. I was out on Hudson Lake on New Years days and caught 13 sand bass when I was trying to catch crappie. It's a great catfish lake but I haven't spent enough time up there and for catfish it's pretty under used.

I fish bar dew a couple times a year but mainly for bass and crappie. They did sell bar dew last year but as of at least a couple months ago anyone can still fish out there. The boat ramp there is just made of gravel and sometimes not the best for a bigger boat. I mainly have just been out on bar dew in my buddies little 8 foot scamp.

Caney river does hold some great fish. I've been putting a canoe in at Johnstone park and have caught some very nice fish there. I'm planning on trying where sand creek feeds into the caney this year. There are actually some very deep 20 ft plus holes in sand creek here in Bartlesville and some very big flathead have been taken out of there in the past.

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I've finally been getting around to fishing Hudson this year. I fished it twice last week and again last night. There's plenty of flathead in there but the big flats haven't been biting with the spawn still on. I've been averaging about 3 to 4 flathead each night out. Last night I finally caught one one some size a 21 pounder that took a cut shad off my slip float in 8 feet of water. Hopefully this is a sign that the bigger flatheads are done spawning and bigger one's are to follow. All the bass and crappie fisherman leave at dark and I've had the whole lake to myself every night.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=314742&postcount=81

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nice sized fish. Wish I could get one that sized.

6. rivrbunny

rivrbunny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Is anyone going to be in the ACATS tournament at Lake Hudson this weekend? Does anyone know the prizes? Let me know if anyone has information on the tourney or if you are planning on signing up. I am trying to talk some friends into signing up with me. They will have a trazillion questions so I want to be prepared with answers.

Misty

7. Limbline

Limbline New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The tournament is next weekend, July 22nd. You can get more information about the tournament at the ACATS website.

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I fished little lake hudson the other night. All my other lakes and rivers are way too full but this little city lake just has a spillway so it never gets too full. This was the first time to fish Hudson for catfish this year for me. I've been a couple times in the spring for crappie and sandies but no catfish until the other night. Baited up four poles two with slip floats and the other two carolina rigged. Fished the mouth of one of the small coves where the water drops from 6 to 20 feet. The fishing was pretty slow and ended up catching three channels from 2 to 5 pounds. I fell asleep in the boat and was waken up by a beaver slapping his tail wanting me to leave. I looked at the pole that was set up behind me and notice the rod tip was under water. I knew there was a pretty good fish on. I swear he fought like a 40+ pound flathead but he was still pretty decent. He weighed in at a even 25 pounds. This was my first decent flathead of the year so far.

Attached Files:

9. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    Where is this lake located around Bartlesville?
    I don't get out that way very often, but sounds like a good place to try?

Ken

10. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    http://www.bartlesvilleparks.com/Pages/hudsonlake.html

Here's a link with map and directions. The lake isn't bank fisherman friendly. There's only really a road that heads down to the boat ramp. There's a small area around the ramp you can bank fish but the rest you would have to walk through uncleared area's for the most part. The lake is really set up for boats only, no swimming,skiing or fast boating. There are picnic benchs and BBQ's but day use only... no camping. Little Hudson is a pretty little lake nestled just inside in the hills of Osage county.

11. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Chris, nice flat. All I had to do was show Jan your pic and now she is haulin me out the door as I speak.....:smile2:
    Nice Catch.

12. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
  13. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    I fished last night....all dang night and caught three fish. Two channels about four pounds each and this guy. Fishing this year has stunk, with all the high water, winds and my work interfering with fishing. I didn't think I was going to catch a thing, went 4 hours without even a nibble. Then caught one channel and another in about a span of twenty minutes. Three hours later and four different spots I caught my biggest flathead in 7 years. The spring scale said between 48 and 50 pounds. I love this lake.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t278/CatfishCentral/Caroylnnewcamerapics209.jpg

14. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
  15. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Went and checked it out. Water clarity looks good. I'm going to try it in the morning (if I don't get rained out) are there any sweet spots for catfish? Any shad for netting?

16. dobbie

dobbie Member

Thats a nice fish Chris.

17. catfishcentral

State:
    OK

There shad in there....sometimes easy to get a lot and sometimes takes a little more time. I find them in the small coves close to shore. There's a ton of sunfish in the lake and you can cast net quite a few, along with the rod and reel or trap them. I've set out a trap before and caught 30 perch in about a hour (thanks to Dobbie). I'd focus on the upper end of the lake for my flatheads, close to shore.

18. shadmaster

shadmaster New Member

State:
    OK
    Good info. Glad to hear about the shad. Thanks

19. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
  20. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Here's a little 35 pounder from the other day.

Attached Files: