Lake Houston fishing tips for me please!

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CatfishRookie, Mar 16, 2008.

1. CatfishRookie

CatfishRookie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey fellow members,

I am new to fishing for the most part. I will be fishing from a pier on Lake Houston and was wondering what i could possibly do or use to land big blues and channel cats. I have used such things as beef liver,worms, and strawberry doughball. I have also used cut bait but had little success. I want to be able to catch keepers off the pier instead of the little nuisance fish. We have had fish food out in a bucket tied to the pier for a couple of weeks now anticipating warmer weather to fish in. I have read and seen pictures of big blues caught on worms and other common baits. What can i use to increase my chances of catching the bigger fish and what bait works best in Lake Houston? Do artificial stink store bought baits really work here??? Thanks for your time and interests in helping me land the big ones!

2. JohnnyD

JohnnyD New Member

State:
    TX
    This reply is a little late...just saw the post. In general for blues I stick with what the fish naturally forage on...and that's shad. Fresh shad is a must, don't waste your time on the frozen shad you can pick up. If you're going after big blues use big cut chunks of fresh shad and freshen up your bait every 20 min or so. Just my 2cents.

3. bw19

bw19 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Carfish rookie, I sent you a PM.

4. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've fished Lake Houston a lot in the past & have actually caught some nice blues (mostly) using shad & cut bream. Worms are usually eaten up by "little-bitty" cats or yellow bass.