Lake Hickory

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jerry9497, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Was wondering what information anyone could give me on Hickory. As, is there a flooded neighborhood/store/bridges underwater? I havnt found much info on it. This is not as much for fishing it, I want to scuba dive it. Whats average surface temp? average depth? What to go look at? I can dive to 130 ft but sunlight probably wont reach much more than 30-40' deep. I tried Baden, visibility was terible. to much green tint. I want to try to find some catfish for video/pictures but also like to find something interesting to look at beside fish. maybe sunk boat. Thanks for any info. I'll post pictures when I go.

Attached Files:

• p.jpg
      p.jpg
      File size:
      35.5 KB
      Views:
    • bream.jpg
      bream.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
  2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Not familiar with Lake Hickory. Mt. Island is one of the clearest lake around. Norman is not that bad either, but I don't know of any underwater items at either place.

Thanks for the pics! I would love to see more pictures from area lakes. I always wonder what is down there.

3. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I took these at rock quarry in Thomasville. Fish in there are gaints, but....no fishing:sad2:. I can only see catfish in there at night because they are in the deep/dark water during the day. at night they patrol the shallows. biggest I've seen is channel about 8 pounds. but bream and bass grow large.

Attached Files:

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I can't help you with Hickory at all but curious to know if you have ever done any diving at Belews Creek.

While smaller its certainly one of the clearest lakes around. There are reportedly old chimneys, partial concrete and/or brick building structures, a few boats that have sunk through the years, the old road beds, etc. scattered around. I know of two outboards that were lost out there in deeper water as well.

No telling what you might come across. :big_smile:

Keep the underwater pics coming! They are always great to see.

5. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    hey Cattledogz,

Yes I did try belews, I wanted to dive there first. I found map that showed houses and bridges. but when I went water has such a blue/green tint to it visibility was about 3 feet. I think if I catch it right,maybe fall water might be better. the only problem with the tint color is it also blocks out alot of sunlight so after 10 or so feet deep it's just dark green. thats why I wanted to try hickory, but may go to mt island first. I want to try Phillpot but it is so deep/so close to shore..I think it would be waste.
    The top pictures are from sante fe river in florida. alot of spring fed water, I could see to other side of river about 30-40 feet. in rock quarry 2nd pictures its about the same but not as clear. I would like to try to find a flathead hid in a hole/log for picture. when I see them at night they cruise past and keep going. really like to get one laying in the window sill of a submerged house. lol

6. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    go to fontana it is drinking water clear when they bilt it they covered up a few towns.

7. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    Jerry,

I lived on Hickory for 2 years. Did a lot of fishing. We did some snorkeling and as well as I can remember it was about 5 foot plus clarity. We were about 3/4 mile up from the dam.
    I plan on getting scuba certified in the fall/winter so your pics are really neat. I don't remember underwater roads/buildings etc. but not to say they aren't there. pm me if you have any other questions and hopefully I can help.
    I remember the undeveloped coves/shorelines having a lot less visibility. Good luck,
    Todd