Lake hickory report

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jayjay101, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jayjay101

jayjay101 New Member

State:
    narth carolina
    fished hickory 7/7/07 got a late start about 7 pm fishs to about 12.00 cought 5 on noodles not a one on rods bigest was a 15 pound channel :big_smile:lost one that was much bigger. hope to go next week. keep you posted if i do . by the way relsase all fish.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great catch!! Good job on the release!!!!!

3. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Glad to hear someone caught a cat on Lake Hickory. Dad and I tried for 4 hours on the morning of the 4th and didn't even get a bite...

4. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What did you use for bait?

Whatever I catch in lake Hickory, I'll be releasing

If I ever catch one

5. wake4est

wake4est New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Never fished there, but I would also like to know which bait works best in that water.

6. jayjay101

jayjay101 New Member

State:
    narth carolina
    andrew bream and shad works good in hickory.

7. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We went out last saturday and Lakeside didn't have any shad. ALl I had was chicken and worms...the 7 pound turtle was a nice catch...but it screwed up my jug.

8. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone been on Lake Hickory lately? Bass fishing friend of mine said that there was debris up everywhere...got me nervous to go out at night...

9. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Andrew, I was on Hickory yesterday. I fished about four hours (pulling leadcore for stripers) from the 321 bridge to the 127 bridge. There was some debris...not much but enough to tear up some equipment if you're running at night.

By the way, I found shad and perch in the back of gunpowder creek in case you're interested in that kind of bait.

10. andrewlail76

andrewlail76 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    cool deal
    I'll try that. My jugs have really big triple prong hooks like my father in law uses at Lake Norman...I'm wondering if they would work on the smaller cats in Lake Hickory.

We were averaging 8-14lb fish and our biggest was a 26pounder

by the way...how did you do?

11. mifit98

mifit98 New Member

State:
    Morganton, NC
    Andrew, I did OK on the bait...brought home a bunch for the freezer. I trolled bucktails on leadcore for about two hours (from 8AM to 10AM) and didn't get a bite. The best fish I marked were between Whittenberg landing and the mouth of Gunpowder Creek. Surgace water temp was about 81 degrees and I never saw a thermocline.