Lake Hickory Report 9.4.09

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Sep 5, 2009.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Today I fished a new lake today; Lake Hickory. I put in at Gunpowder Access area and started my first drift below the bridge on that same creek. Water was around 80 degrees and very clear. My goal was a DD channel cat. Lake Hickory is known for some of the biggest channel cats around, and the bite on Lake Wylie had been good for channel cats, so I hoped that might translate over to Lake Hickory.

Having never fished the lake I am not sure what is a "good bite" and a "bad bite" on the lake. On Lake Wylie, a lake I know well, when I catch 12-15 cats it is an average day, 20-30 is a really good day, and 35+ is a great bite! So, I am not really sure what kinds of numbers Lake Hickory is capable of producing, but where it may fall short in total numbers it makes up for in size.

With all that said, I only caught six fish yesterday on Lake Hickory, but the biggest three channel cats would have won ANY channel cat tournament we have ever had on Lake Wylie! THe biggest three averaged out to be just under 9 pounds. The 10 pounder appeared to be a male and was shaped like a dang football! I used my striper rods to drift with, and man it was fun bringing those fish in on the lighter rods.

We had a really bright moon the night before, as a matter of fact it was still up when I was heading out around 6:00am. For me at least, the bright night moon makes for a tough daytime bite on Lake Wylie. Also, the bite on Lake Wylie has been better in the afternoon, so I might have just been to early.

I will be back up there in the next few weeks as the water cools and the channel cat bite gets better and better. Lake Hickory is a very pretty lake, small, and river like in shape with only a few small narrow creeks. Hopefully, with a little time on the water, I can surpass my 13 pound personal best channel cat before the year ends.

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Awesome trip an catch Dieter!

3. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Sounds like a blast , congrats on the fine trip ...:big_smile:

4. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Dieter, sounds like a little bit of a tough trip and you still caught some nice fish. I have been wanting to go to lake Hickory for the past few years myself. One of these days I will make the journey. Thanks for the report.

5. tha ''GUTBUCKET''

tha ''GUTBUCKET'' New Member

State:
    GASTONIA,NC WYLIE
    way to go DETOUR the other half of TEAM FISHBONES:smile2:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNIN'!!! That's what I said when I read this thread title!!!

WylieCat, fishin' Hickory. WHO woulda thunk it?

Glad ya had fun bro. :big_smile:

7. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just my luck, I fished Hickory Saturday evening/night from around 6 till just after midnight. Didn't really even get a bite. I'm sure I was in the wrong place. Where Gunpowder empties into the main body you go upstream and around the point and I anchored about 10 yards off the bank in 20 feet of water. Fishing bluegills at differing depths and no luck.

I know where you were and I understand that you were drifting but beyond that I have no clue. I just got back to fishing after nearly 10 years. So my old boat is in rough shape and the depth finder is broken and I'm fishing in the dark in more ways than one.

If its not in poor form to ask, Would you mind sharing a little info on bait and rigging etc ? Target depths ( I can try and match from memory ) etc.

Thanks in advance for any info you care to share.
    Marty

8. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    If its not in poor form to ask, Would you mind sharing a little info on bait and rigging etc ? Target depths ( I can try and match from memory ) etc.

Im not sure what bait's he was using, but I know cut bream was 1 of them. I have only striper fished on Hickory, but with the shad population there in Gunpowder, Id use that also.

As far as rigging goes look in "Mac Byrums Catfish University" there is all the info you need on rigging, and how to's. Or try and attend one of the Carolina Catfish Club meetings and ask any questions you want. Youve come to the right place to find info.... http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=433

9. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the link. Lots of good info there. Hopefully I can learn to put some of it to use.

10. crashman

crashman Guest

6 fish on a new lake, and 3 really nice channels... Sounds like a good first trip to me!